Growing closer

The days wore on as the group made their way back to Konoha. As the sun set and began to vanish into the sea, the world was engulfed in darkness and the group stopped for the night. "Hiro, Suiren, come with me, we're going to gather wood for a fire." Kakashi said, turning his back to them. Suiren placed her bag in Ginsei's hands. "Will you watch my stuff for me, dad?" She asked, smiling. Ginsei smiled back. "Of course, my little flower." He said, sitting down on a fallen log. He put the bag beside him on the ground and gave Suiren a thumbs up. "It'll be fine here with me. Be safe, ok?" Suiren nodded and went to join Kakashi and Hiro, who were a ways off waiting for her. Ginsei watched as Suiren, Hiro and Kakashi went off to gather wood. He frowned, remembering what he had heard when he had passed by Suiren's old room. He was certain that he had overheard Suiren telling Kakashi she loved him. He then grabbed a stick that was lying next to his daughter's bag and began scribbling in the dirt. As he sat there, Ginsei looked over at Kokuyōseki. "You're her best friend, right? What does she like now?" He asked her. Kokuyōseki shook her head. "I wouldn't know. We just recently got on good terms with each other." Kokuyōseki explained.

The sun had set completely by the time Hiro, Kakashi and Suiren returned with armfuls of wood for the fire. When the fire had been started, Kakashi and Suiren headed out to go and hunt. As soon as the fire was far behind them, Suiren reached out to grab Kakashi's hand. She held on tightly, and Kakashi looked in her direction. He stopped for a moment and took Suiren's other hand in his. "What's wrong?" He asked. There was silence for a moment, Suiren refused to answer. "What's wrong? You haven't been yourself lately. Are you ok?" Kakashi asked again. Suiren took a deep breath, the musty scents of the forest surrounding her. "Kakashi, I..." She paused, wondering how she could ask her question without being ridiculed. "Do you... really love me? I know that, I've been so useless the last few days... I just wanted to know if... you still loved me..." Kakashi smiled under his mask and touched the hairpin Suiren had in her hair. "Of course I love you, Suiren. You haven't been useless. In fact, I believe you've been the strongest one here. You've definitely accomplished a lot since we left Konoha, and the fact that you found your real dad is pretty amazing. I will always love and protect you." Kakashi said, stroking her hair. Suiren smiled and hugged him. "Thank you, Kakashi." She said. Kakashi smiled and they then left to go hunt. They returned a half hour later with a few birds for their food. Kokuyōseki and Suiren plucked the feathers off the birds and chatted amongst themselves as the men got to know each other. Ginsei would often talk about when Suiren was just a little girl and most of the stories were interrupted by Suiren calling out and saying that the story was too embarrassing and to move on to a different one. They ate and talked as the fire crackled and burned steadily. "Well, we should get to bed. It's quite late." Ginsei said after a while. Kakashi looked in Ginsei's direction and nodded. "Hiro, you take first watch. When your turn is over, wake Jacques and Jacques will wake Kokuyōseki and so on. Everyone clear?" The others nodded and Kakashi walked over to Hiro. "Make sure you keep an eye on Ginsei. Just in case he tries to make a run for it or kill us." Kakashi whispered in Hiro's ear. Hiro nodded and the group got ready for bed.

Early morning sunlight filtered through the trees as the sun rose, creating shadows where the sun's rays were blocked by the trees. Suiren sat near the fire which was now dying slowly, and watched the sunrise. She had been the last person on watch for the night and was tired from getting very little sleep. There was movement in the corner of her eye and she placed her hand on her tool bag, ready to grab a kunai if needed. Kakashi sat up and folded the blanket that he and Suiren shared. Suiren relaxed and walked over to Kakashi, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Morning." She said, sitting on the ground. Kakashi smiled. "Good morning. How was your part of the watch?" He asked. She sighed. "Not much action to be perfectly honest. Kinda boring. The sun's pretty though." Suiren said. Kakashi stood up, his things packed. Walking over to the others, he shook them awake and announced that they would be leaving in twenty minutes. Jacques went over to Kokuyōseki to see her wound and Hiro checked up on Kakashi. Ginsei, meanwhile, sat on a fallen log and watched the medical ninjas do their work. They ate what was left of the birds that had been caught the previous night and packed their things. Once they were ready, they set off towards the gate to Konoha. When they reached it, Ginsei stumbled and fell behind, coughing. Suiren ran over to him and helped him stand. "Dad? Are you ok? What's wrong?" She asked, and the others stopped to look back at Ginsei, who was still coughing badly. "Dad?" Suiren asked again. Finally, Ginsei stopped coughing and stood up straight. "I'm alright, Suiren. Nothing serious." He said, patting her head and hiding the hand that he had coughed into, which was covered in blood. Suiren looked up at him, worry in her eyes. "Then why are you hiding your hand? Why are you coughing up blood?" Suiren asked. "Sweetie, I'm fine. Nothing's-" Suiren cut him off. "We're going to the hospital first." She said. They continued to Konoha, where they soon entered the hospital. Hiro explained what had happened to one of the nurses and Ginsei was taken to a separate room for testing. "Please don't tell my daughter the real results. I don't want to worry her." Ginsei said once he was in the room with the nurse. She shook her head. "I'm afraid I can't do that." The nurse said, and proceeded to get the first test ready. There were many periods of time where coughing could be heard from the separate room and a half hour passed before the nurse came back and reported. "We'll need a few days to process the results of the tests." She said. Suiren nodded and watched as the door to the room opened and Ginsei stepped out. She smiled and went to go hug him. "Now that that's done, we need to report to lord third." Kakashi said, standing up. As they walked to the Hokage's office, Suiren held her father's hand, still worried that something bad was happening.