Chapter 21- Edited

Cole's POV

My mom screamed as the kitchen window shattered and James fell to the floor, limp with a tranquilizer quill stuck in his arm. My head instantly spun to the broken window and saw a man standing on the tree line smirking through the window at me. I could smell the Kaiden and growled as he turned and ran into the green behind him. I quickly knelt down to James and couldn't hear his strong heartbeat. I began pumping his chest, trying to get him to breath. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Collin and Sarah starring at James' limp, cold body lying on the tile kitchen floor.

My mom ran over and wet a rag and placed it on James' forehead, trying to wake him with the cold water as I continued to pump his chest. Finally, his chest rose and he shot up, breathing wildly. I looked over for Audrey but when I didn't see her I sent Sarah a confused look. She was here just a second ago. Where could she have gone? Something caught my eye out the open back door and I saw a snow white wolf immerge and dash into the trees.

I shot out the back door and shifted mid stride once I hit the grass, running after her. I knew where she was going, even as I prayed while I was running that my hunch was wrong.

As I ran after her, she eventually slowed as she reached a large meadow. I took cover behind a wide tree and tried to force myself to simply watch what was going to happen instead of going to rip someone's head off.

I saw Jason and his Kaiden immerge from the brush and walk out into the clearing looking at my mate. Silently, I ran over and hid behind a different giant oak, to get closer incase she needed my help and crouched down to the grass as I watched in secret.

No one spoke or even dared to move as they all starred at each other. The only noises in the large meadow were Audrey's deep threatening grows.

Jason stepped forward ever so slowly, but quickly jumped back as Audrey's growled ripped through the air, posturing to defend her ground. He stopped, but soon continued to step forward until he was only a few feet away from her.

He slowly bent down to one knee and reached out his hand, making her growl muffle as he touched her head, running his hand down her jaw line and down her neck. Her snow white fur flowed in the wind, making it glimmer like sea waves in the sun. I longed to be the one touching her, not some disgusting rogue that claimed to be her other mate.

He didn't deserve her anymore than I did. Neither one of us did. She was perfect and we were flawed, both to the same extent.

Behind them, a dark haired man stepped toward them and Audrey's wolf eyes shot toward him as she released a growl that would be able to kill as she lunged for him, snapping her large teeth at him. He quickly jumped aside, barely brushing against her teeth. He raised his fist towards her, about to hit her fragile wolf before Jason bellowed through the meadow's crisp air. "Gio!" he yelled, making both of them snap their heads toward him.

Jason casually walked over to them and rubbed his face tiredly. "Audrey, please change back and tell me what's going on between you too." he pleased calmly looking between the both of them. She huffed and shook her head before Jason sighed and took of his large shirt, tossing it to her. She hesitated but eventually picked it up in her jaws and trotted over behind a tree. She shifted back and quickly pulled on the shirt that covered everything it needed to, walking back over to them while glaring at Gio.

"Okay, what happened?" he asked both of them, but Audrey was the one to speak up with hate and anger in her voice.

"Don't even act like you didn't know!" she spat at him with venom in her words. Jason just stood there dumbfounded as she jabbed her finger towards Gio. "You need to learn to control your pup!" she yelled and Jason turned glaring at Gio.

"What did you do?" he demanded as Gio just shrugged his shoulders.

"He had it coming, love." Gio said to Audrey with a smirk on his smug little face. Jason wrapped his hands around Gio's throat and threw him to the ground.

"What did you do?!" Jason demanded again.

"Nothing! I-" he started before Jason tightened his grip on Gio's throat, successfully cutting off his voice.

"You shot someone in the pack house!" she screamed, as I could see tears threatening to fall. Jason rammed his hands into his throat as his eyes held rage towards Gio.

"It was just James and only with tranquilizers. Plus, he trashed my mustang!" Gio managed to get out before Jason again tightened his death grip on his throat, making his muscles flex as Gio began to turn pale. Just as Jason released his tight grip Gio sucked in air like a fish, regaining color to his face.

"Don't ever do anything to harm my mate again! You could have hit her! Do you hear me!" he growled and turned slowly back to Audrey. "I'm sorry." was all he said before turning and walking back into the trees.

Gio slowly got up, his hand on his throat and looked at Audrey. She snarled at him and he turned and followed after Jason into the trees.

She slowly sat down onto the grass, holding her knees as I slowly came out from behind the tree and sat down next to her, our bodies touching and I felt her relax a little when I nuzzled my wet nose into her neck. She smiled and scratched behind me ear, making my whimper at her touched I longed for all morning. A small tear rolled down her cheek and I ran my nose across her cheek, catching it from falling. She sniffled and talked softly. "You know I love you Cole." she said and I licked her cheek lovingly. "But I can't ignore Jason." she continued.

She heard my low growl and started again. "You know how you and I can't stay away from each other right? Well I can't ignore him either. I always love you Cole. Forever." she kissed my head and nestled into my soft black fur. I dropped my head over her shoulders as she sighed. "Please?" she whispered.

'We cannot let our mate go see another male! Even if she says she loves you, because she'll love him too!' my wolf growled at me as she asked with a pained voice. If she was going to be my Luna, she had to be dedicated to my pack, fully. She couldn't be off with the enemy. She had to be loyal to the shifters she was supposed to lead and protect from the Kaiden.

Not knowing what else to do, I simply motioned with my head for her to follow me as I started back towards the pack house. She followed me wordlessly, never more than a step away from me.

Once we got back to the house, Audrey went ahead of me and trudged up the stairs. I stopped in the kitchen to get a bottle of water when I saw Sarah sitting at the table on her phone.

"How is James doing?" I asked worried about him after I ran off after Audrey.

"He's doing good. He's still weak from the tranquilizers but he'll be fine. What a day huh?" she asked shooting me a look. I just nodded and ran my fingers through my hair. "Do you know why?" she asked. I knew she meant why did that Gio guy shoot James but I only shook my head, really not wanting to get into it again right now.

"I'm going to send some of the pack scouts out tomorrow to check the land for Kaiden. I have to go check on Audrey. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?" I said trying to get away from her harsh glare. I knew she could see right past my bypass of the subject but it was worth a try.

I headed up stairs and found my room empty. Sighing, I went back downstairs to see my mom sitting in the living room reading. "Did Audrey come back through here?"

"She said she needed to get some air."

'Crap.' my wolf sighed and I instantly knew where she went. I just shook my head and scolded myself. "I can't leave her alone for 2 minutes." I mumbled mostly to myself as I plopped down on the couch.

"Honey, just give her some time." She said softly, closing her book. "She'll come back when she's ready. This is all just as scary for her as it is for you. You just have to give her some space." I just nodded my head and went upstairs to bed.

As I laid there, the bed felt so cold without my mate beside me. I missed the sparks that she sent through me when she rolled over next to me in her sleep. I missed her subtle heartbeat I always fell asleep to every night. I needed to know she was safe when I went to sleep, but tonight I wouldn't.