He's The Reason Why

Chapter 26

<~Jamie's P.O.V.~>

Jack hasn't spoken to me in three days. He won't answer my phone calls or texts. I think he blocked my number. I don't know what I did. I woke up in my bed alone to find out that he had left. He had left a not on my night stand that said his dad needed him for something and that he would call me later. Now he won't even acknowledge that I exist.

Taylor took the week off school to spend time with her sister in Boston. She said she needed to get a clear mind after everything that happened with Phil. She'd text me every once in awhile to update on how Boston was treating her. I didn't want to tell her what happened yet. She needed to get away for a bit and I didn't want to bother her.

My heart was breaking every time Jack and I would lock eyes. He'd then look away like nothing happened. Disappointment always flashed in his eyes when this happened. I don't know what I did, and I was too much of a child to confront him face to face about the situation.

Fast forward to the third day and my alarm is blaring loudly on my nightstand. I hadn't slept for what seemed like years. All I could do was blankly stare at the ceiling underneath my covers. I tuned out the noise of my alarm. My body was numb. For once I actually felt like I was nothing. Phil not wanting us to be in his life anymore and now Jack removing himself from mine when I needed him honestly felt like it was going to kill me. It was a swift, hard kick to the stomach.

"Jaime," my mom called out. I slowly sat up and looked in the direction of the door. Worry was etched across her face causing her forehead to wrinkle.

"Jaime, your alarm has been going off for the last twenty minutes."

I let out an empty laugh, "Has it? I hadn't noticed."

I reached over and shut it off, the noise of it now starting to get on my nerves. "I need to shower and change. I'll be downstairs to go to school in a little bit." I waved her off, not wanting her to pry. I didn't really feel like talking.

My mom hesitated for a minute at my door, "I'm here if you need me Jaime. I have to get to work but call me if you need me, okay?"

"Roger that captain."

My mom let out a sigh before she closed the door. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt and walked into the bathroom to shower. I made it fast because I didn't want to make Soph late. As soon as I was out I use the blow drier on my hair and after I made sure I had everything for school I made my way to the garage.

Soph followed suit, her headphones in. She was busy talking to her friend about a sleepover and I didn't want to bother her. I always felt like I bothered people so I just kept my mouth shut. We got in the car and I backed out of the driveway before making my way to the school. I didn't want to go anymore. I felt so lonely there, and seeing Jack there would kill me. He was popular and had so many other friends. He wouldn't be missing me.

After about fifteen minutes, I pulled into the student parking lot. I was going to park in my original spot but a red Mazda was already in it. So I drove down to the end of the parking lot and parked there. Soph hopped out quickly, throwing a "Thank you, love you!" over her shoulder before the door closed behind her.

"I love you too," I muttered. The words tasted bitter to me now. They had very little meaning to me at the moment. I sighed and looked down at my lap before I climbed out of my vehicle and made it towards the front doors. I still had to walk down a long sidewalk to get there. And I'd have to walk past Jack's Corvette. I was maybe a few hundred steps away from his vehicle when I heard talking and laughing. I looked over and Jack was leaned up against his vehicle. A tall, blonde stood next to him.

She stood too close to him, if you ask me, but that didn't matter. I wasn't his boyfriend anymore. He seemed to be enjoying the conversation with her too. Leaning in closely to hear her every time she spoke. I kind of just stopped and a stared at them. I wanted to punch him, run him over with my car, cry, scream, and run away all at once.

The girl must have noticed me because she sneered at me and called out, "What do you want fag boy?"

My breath hitched in my throat. Jack turned to look in my direction. I hung my head and scurried past them. I heard the girl laugh loudly but I could feel Jack's eyes bore into my back. I was so thankful it didn't take me long to get to the front doors. Soon enough I mingled in with the crowd and hopefully disappeared from them.

<~8th Hour~>

I began to heavily rely on my headphones again. When I first came back, I used them religiously because I had no one. I had Taylor and Phil I guess but even being with them together in the same room made me feel alone. Since it was towards the end of the semester all of the elective classes finished early. I had all electives my last four hours of the day. I stayed in the art room most of the time just painting and drawing to my hearts content. It was really nice that my art teacher let me use the room. She could tell I needed an escape and painting and drawing helped immensely.

I also sang to myself when she would leave for the day and when I was completely alone. It felt nice to forget about my problems and to just get lost in what I was doing at the moment.

I picked up my phone to shuffle through my playlist before settling on a song called "Love" by Lana Del Rey. As soon as the song started, I sang the lyrics softly to myself.

Look at you kids with your vintage music
Comin' through satellites while cruisin'
You're part of the past, but now you're the future
Signals crossing can get confusing

It's enough just to make you feel crazy, crazy, crazy
Sometimes, it's enough just to make you feel crazy

You get ready, you get all dressed up
To go nowhere in particular
Back to work or the coffee shop
Doesn't matter cause it's enough
To be young and in love

Look at you kids, you know you're the coolest
The world is yours and you can't refuse it
Seen so much, you could get the blues
But that don't mean that you should abuse it

Though it's enough just to make you go crazy, crazy, crazy
I know, it's enough just to make you go crazy, crazy, crazy

But you get ready, you get all dressed up
To go nowhere in particular
Back to work or the coffee shop
It don't matter because it's enough
To be young and in love

Don't worry, baby
Don't worry, baby

And it's enough just to make me go crazy, crazy, crazy
It's enough just to make me go crazy, crazy, crazy

I get ready, I get all dressed up
To go nowhere in particular
It doesn't matter if I'm not enough
For the future or the things to come
'Cause I'm young and in love
I'm young and in love

Don't worry, baby
Don't worry, baby
Don't worry, baby

I found myself at my desk with my arms crossed and my head resting on top of them. I ended up staring at nothing basically while I sang the song to myself, zoning out like I normally did. When I reached up to touched my face I realized I was crying then. It's really upsetting when you're even numb to feeling sad. I wipe tears away and checked the time on my phone, almost four o'clock. I decided I better leave and head home.

So much time had flown by that I didn't even realize it was already this late. I hoped that sooner than later that I'd get out of this funk. But it felt like it would be around for a while. I reached down and grabbed my bag off the floor, pulling my car keys out before turning towards the door. I shut the lights off and closed the door, listening for a small click and shaking it a few times to make sure it was locked.

I turned down the hallway to go to the parking lot. I was just about to reach the doors when I was grabbed by my wrist and pulled into an empty classroom. I heard a click behind me as the door was closed, and as I whirled around to see who pulled me in here my body tensed up. It was Jack.