|Chapter 43: Familiar Kisses|

Isabella

"How are the designs, Isabella?"

Sipping my fresh orange juice that Mother had laid out for Abigail and I, I nodded. "I haven't done much recently because of homework and preparing for my exams, but I will."

Abigail was still upstairs getting changed into whatever Mother had laid out for her on her bed. For me, Mother had opted for a floral skirt that reached just above my knee (still complying with the clothing policy), a plain top and a cardigan. It was only moments later when Abigail came down, I realised she categorically detested what Mother had put out for her. She was wearing a yellow dress covered in pineapples. I choked on my orange juice as Mother shot me a glare.

"Isabella, you're meant to be finding the time between all those things to work on your clothing designs – how else will you better yourself and have the best designs you can produce when it comes to the summer? And Abigail, don't look so dreary. It's summer, lighten up."

We still had about a month left at school, but exams were closer than ever. They'd begin in less than two weeks. It was also exam period for Felix, too, so seeing him back home and studying was a rarity. He was spending the majority of him time revising in his room back at college – or so he tells us on the phone which could just be arrant lies, knowing Felix - anything to get into Mother and Father's good books

"I don't like this dress," Abigail muttered, plonking herself down next to me in more of a slump than a graceful, elegant princess.

Mother shook her head. "Tough, it's a lovely day outside."

"I'm running low on free time, Mother," I said, going back to our conversation.

"Just divide your time up wisely and it'll be fine. When you get outstanding marks on in your exams and make this clothing line, your father and I will be proud."

Putting the glass down on the table, I said, "You're not proud of me now?"

"Well, what have you done to make us proud?" she asked. "I mean, with everything that's happened in the past few months – that boy –" she basically spat the word out, "– I think you have a lot of making up to do. And your father still doesn't know about him, so don't dare tell him. The pier construction is taking longer than anticipated and he's getting more stressed by the day. We don't need something like that tearing this family apart."

Tears were formulating in the corners of my eyes but I blinked them back as Abigail questioned, "What boy?"

"No boy, Abigail. Eat your breakfast because otherwise you'll both be late."

Shaking my head, I shovelled down my remaining pieces of toast and chugged the orange juice quickly so I didn't have to spend a second longer than necessary in this goddamn house. Firstly, Mother and Father aren't proud of their eldest daughter who was juggling their future profession with their high school exams, and Mother is still ashamed of me for even associating with Jason. But she would never have found out if it hadn't have been for Miles. But lucky for her, Jason and I are over anyway.

But even with the drive to school, my mood didn't amend, because as soon as I parked, Miles strutted up to me, ignoring the swooning girls behind him all gathered in a circle. Some were crimson in the face, and others were positively glaring at me for having any interaction with Miles when they were definitely enviable, but not enough to do something about it and amble up to Miles – or faint on the way, of course.

"You look quite upset," he commented, leaning against my Aston Martin Vanquish.

I slammed the door shut with the retention of no talking.