|Chapter 53: The Messenger|

Jason

"How did your exams go?"

Isabella plonked herself down on the sofa next to me and rested her head on my shoulder. She sighed and replied with, "Tedious. I hate exams so much. What about yours?"

I shrugged nonchalantly but gently so the sudden movement wouldn't startle her. "As good as can be, really. I don't expect much from these results. I already have a job. These results won't get me very far, anyway. I'm still trying. But like you said: they're tedious."

"Where's Alex?"

"Working. He insisted on working alone today. He said we didn't have much to do today but I know for a fact that a gear box needed changing, but he still insisted. Something's up with him, and I have no idea what it is, but it's certainly getting to him."

Isabella remained silent as if speculating the conundrum. It was only after a few minutes did she sit up and look me in the eyes. "Today at school, Miles and his friends were talking about something and it looked like they didn't want to be overheard. They were like this yesterday, too."

"Ah, something about Miles," I breathed out in exasperation. "It was all quiet on the Miles front until now, but something had to crop up."

Isabella merely stared at me. "I'm being sincere."

"I was joking, Issy," I replied. "They're probably discussing answers and revision techniques to one another or something. Don't think about it too much, okay?"

Isabella nodded, but before she could slouch down again on the sofa, I placed my hands hastily on the back of her neck and pulled her in for a kiss. At first, our lips seemed crushed against one another's, but then I pulled back slightly so the kiss didn't appear to be quite as devouring.

I thought she'd be shocked by the sudden kiss, but then she shocked me by opening her mouth and letting her tongue slip through to my lips. Not wanting to cause any sort of insubordination, I obliged in her commands and when one thing lead to another, we ended up in my bedroom with me lying on top of her with only her underwear still on.

"Just so I'm clear," I whispered as she began kissing my neck. "How far are we going here?"

Isabella leaned back on the pillow and looked me square in the eyes. Our faces were only inches apart and if either of us moved at all, our noses would brush together. She paused fleetingly, but then she said, "All the way."

With the mingled urges of shock and astonishment and amazement and contentment and worry consumed me all at once. A part of me was still in denial and was trying to figure out whether this was a test and she was toying with me. But not one trace of humour fell onto her face and instead, she remained just as sombre as she previously was.

"Are you sure?" I breathed out, my stomach in knots. "I mean, if you don't have to-"

"I might just have to write you off as a cliché now for saying that," she murmured softly, a smile spreading across her face. "And your kisses taste of smoke."

"I'm a smoker, baby," I replied, winking to ease the tension. "It calms me, and it adds to the bad boy persona, right? But how does it taste?"

"Addictive," she murmured, leaning up to kiss me again.

Truth be told, I have never had to utter those word to a girl before. Sabrina was always ready, even before I met her. I was definitely not her first, but neither was she mine. Mine was some random girl. It used to be when my father used to take me to brothels and want me to be with the prostitutes. As sickening as it has been depicted, it was just like that. After that first time, I hated it and I never did it again. I sat with them in silence or with minimal chatter, paid them and left. I couldn't bear to do anything like that again, and with Isabella, I will never have to do anything like that again.