chapter | thirty-three

comment ⌨️
vote ⭐️

nathan's POV :

Thump.

Thump, thump.

Pause...

It's ironic how I feel alive when my heart skips one single beat.

Thump, thump.

I breathed in the musky, dirty familiar scent of sweat. I rolled my neck back and took slow calming breaths of air; my throat stung and dried up begging for water.

"Common man, I heard this is gonna be an easy win for you." I wasn't nervous that I was gonna lose I was nervous that my plan wasn't going to work...I walked over to my bag and pulled out my drink bottle taking large gulps of water.

"Just quit stressing you're making me nervous, and I never get nervous. Plus,  I have 200 bucks on your ass. So if you don't win..." Vesper joked trailing off warning me; he was lying down across a rusty red torn up, couch. Which he always sat on while I was warming up.

I hate that couch, and I refuse to be within a meter of it; with a number of girls Vesper brings into this room, I seriously doubt that he hasn't done anything dirty on that couch. I shivered, yep, I will never willingly sit on that sofa.

"Vesper, you managed to lose me 600 last night! So don't doubt Nathan he's a way better fighter than you." Minx said walking in; I took in her dark purple wavy hair with lighter purple streaks. Her green eyes and her naturally pink lips. Vesper perched up just from seeing her, Minx's eyes flickered to that couch that I hate so much, then to my best friend that I also hate so much and just for a second and she visibly blushed. My eyes widened.

Oh, fuck no.

Ew. Ew. Please delete the image that just invaded my head.

"Aw, Minx, baby, you should have known better and not had faith in me," Vesper responded trying to be cool, he leaned back placing his arms behind his head, making me roll my eyes.

"Yeah, your right, Faith and you don't belong in the same sentence."

She glared at Vesper, watching him for a few seconds before snapping out of it and walking over to me pulling out my hand wraps from her backpack.

Vespers words were clearly double-sided, and they hurt his ex-girlfriend more than she let him see. But he didn't care for how they affected Minx; he just continued as if hurting her was very day life.

Vesper may just happen to be my best friend, but he's still an asshole. And a cheater.

"Here Nath, I cleaned them for you yesterday," She mumbled, pulling my hands gently towards her and began wrapping my mending bruised knuckles with the freshly washed straps for me.

Blood still tainted the white material, but they still looked a lot better than yesterday. She was careful to not apply to much pressure to anywhere that was bruised or cut, scared that she would hurt me.

Minx stood unintentionally close to me; her bright green eyes focused on wrapping my hands instead of our proximity, every few seconds from the corner of her eyes, her gaze would snap to Vesper, but only for the slightest moment; then she would look back to my hands thinking that none one noticed.

I looked over to my friend; his eyes were focused on the almost non-existent space between Minx and me. The two of them broke up a week before Vesper went to California, to visit his sick Grandpa and Sophie stayed with me.

Vesper was clearly affected by seeing one of his very few family members sick, so he went out got drunk and hooked up with a random girl, at some party. And being the connected girl that Minx is she found out and dumped him days later, a few days before Sasha came home to be exact.