Another Summer Day

Warm and sunny weather had come with its thunderstorms. It was summer. The Luau had just passed. You managed to impress the Governor with the best soup ever using only the finest of your produce. More than anything you were just happy to spend more time with Shane and listen to him talk about how "they don't have hot pepper chutney like this in the big city." His eyes seemed to soften when you laughed, but you weren't really sure of anything.

It was a bright day and you were gathering some red mushrooms, sweet peas, and spice berries. You found yourself by Sebastian's house and decided to stop by. You actually had never been in his room, but you guys were starting to become friends. Why not? you thought. It's not a big deal, right? You began to get nervous, but knocked on the door anyways.

"Come in." you heard Sebastian's voice inside.

"Hey," you said walking towards his desk.

"Oh, hey. Gimme one sec." he replied still looking at the screen of his computer.

Should I leave? I think I'll just wait for him. It should be okay. It was quiet besides his loud tapping on the keyboard.

"Okay. Sorry about that, I just needed to finish what I was working on." he finally said.

Curious, you walked over next to him and looked at the screen. "No worries. I didn't mind waiting. So, what are you working on? If you don't mind me asking."

"I do freelance work as a programmer." A sudden bleep rang. "That was an instant message from Sam...I guess he wants to hang out...Ugh I don't really feel like going out today." Someone then walked into the room.

"Oh, hi (Y/N)," it was Robin. She walked closer to where you and Sebastian were, "Sebby, I know you don't like it when I come in here...but I ran into Abbigail at the store and she said she was looking for you."

"Did you tell her I'm working?" Sebastian's mouth seemed to curl down and his eyes looked darker than normal.

"I did...but she said she'd probably stop by anyway." Robin said quietly.

After a long, exasperated sigh Sebastian said, "...No one takes my job seriously. No one ever bothers Maru when she's working at the clinic...does everyone think I'm just surfing the web all day?"

"Sorry, I tried." Robin replied and simply walked away shrugging.

"So, what are your career goals? There's not much for a programmer to do here, I'm guessing." You tried to lessen Sebastian's annoyance. It seemed sad that no one took his passion seriously.

"Well, I'm trying to save up so I can move out of here. Probably to the city or something." He paused. "You know, if I'd gone to college I'd probably be making six figured right now...but I just don't want to be part of that corporate rat race, you know?" he paused again, this time for a little longer.

"I do. I was part of that. It wasn't really pleasant. It's why I came here, actually." you said.

"Oh. I didn't really know." He looked at your eyes, then looking down, he finally said, "Well, and I guess I also just feel more comfortable hidden behind the computer than dealing with people face-to-face." He almost seemed to frown.

"That's okay. People make me nervous too." You gave him a small smile and put your hand on his shoulder. He looked at your hand and seemed to get flustered.

"Well I should get back to work...I need to get this module finished by tomorrow." he said with his eyes back on the screen.

"Oh, okay. Good luck with your work!" you waved bye at him as you walked away.

As you were walking home, you noticed Shane on his way to the saloon. You decided to go say hi to him.

"Hey, Shane. How was work?" you asked cheerfully.

"As awful as always." He replied, then looking over at you, "how was your day?"

"It was pretty good, I visited Sebastian and foraged for mushrooms, berries, and such."

"Who's Sebastian? Is he the emo, goth kid that goes to the saloon with some other kids?" he asked still walking.

"Yea, that one," you chuckled at Shane's description of Sebastian.

"So...are you guys..." he stopped, "nevermind."

"What?"

"Nothing. Don't worry about it, really." And with that you both went into the saloon and shared a beer before you headed home for the night.