Spirit's Eve

It was the 27th of Fall and you had received this letter in the mail the previous day:

"Dear (Y/N),

Notice a chill in the air? It could just be the approach of winter...

Or it could be the tingle of a dark specter, here to help us celebrate tomorrow's festival... the Spirit's Eve.

Come to town at 10 PM if you'd like to participate.

-Mayor Lewis"

Spirit's Eve was arguably your favorite holiday of the year. You smiled the entire time that you did your farm work just thinking about how great tonight's festival was going to be. It had been years since you properly celebrated. You usually just spent the day working. The most festivity you encountered was the receptionist at the office who would decorate the desk and put a bowl of candy. But those days were behind. As you harvested your last batch of pumpkins, you picked a few of the brightest and prettiest of the bunch. Sebastian, Sam, and Abigail were coming over to carve some pumpkins with you. You set them up on a picnic table you had made when you heard them coming through the dirt road. Sam excitedly waved at you.

"(Y/N)! Ready for the smashing pumpkins?" asked Sam.

"We're not smashing any pump...wait, is that a band reference?" you tilted your head.

"Of course it is. It's Sam." said Abigail as you chuckled.

"Feel free to take a seat, guys." you said. You thought you saw Abigail scowl when Sebastian sat next to you.

"What are you going to carve, (Y/N)?" Sebastian asked you.

"Hmm...I'm not sure. Maybe a chicken would be cute." you pondered.

"That sounds boring. I'm gonna carve a werewolf." said Abigail already drawing unto hers, but looking up for Sebastian's approval.

"I like your chicken idea. You should go for it." he said lightly patting you on the back with a small smile.

"Well, for Sebastian to smile...it must be an AWESOME idea" teased Sam. Sebastian quickly got his hand off your back and looked down at his pumpkin. Abigail dropped her marker. "I'll draw an electric guitar on mine and Sebastian should draw a cigarette on his." everyone laughed. In the end, Sebastian carved a regular pumpkin but with sharper teeth and Sam carved a fancy-looking castle.

"Thanks for having us over." said Abigail.

"You're the best, (Y/N). Without you, these losers would just have me playing video games all day." Sam said.

"You guys are welcome any time." you said cheerfully.

"See you at the festival tonight, (Y/N)?" Sebastian asked as they were leaving.

"Of course! I'll be there."

Alone, you decided to put on your Spirit's Eve costume. You were supposed to be a dark elf type character. With Emily's help, you were able to make tight black pants and a shirt, black gloves, a dark brown belt at your hips, and a long, feathery scarf that reached down all the way to your boots. By putting together a long branch and a quartz from the mine, you had made a magic staff. Lastly, you applied make up on your face and neck then copious amounts of eyeliner. I hope this isn't too much. I don't want anyone to think I look ridiculous or too nerdy. Your get-up reminded you of the rogue dark elves with a mix of wizard that you'd seen in the games you played before getting absorbed into working. It was almost 10 PM, so you took a deep breath, picked up your pumpkin, and began walking towards the town.