Dance of the Moonlight Jellies

Summer went by in a flash. Sam's birthday had passed, so Sebastian, Abigail, and you celebrated the day with him. You got some pizza for everyone and Sam thanked you, claiming it was his "absolute favorite." Then he looked over at Sebastian and said, "I can see why you like her so much!" You blushed, Sebastian shot him an ugly look and Abigail made a face you hadn't seen before, but Sam just laughed. Why must new people always be awkwardly teased? Sebastian and I are just friends, even I know that. Luckily, the day continued peacefully after that.

Farming wise, you experimented with planting different crops. It was sort of intimidating, but you were a farmer now. You had to learn. Melon and red cabbage seeds were expensive to buy, but they sold for even more. You learned it was worth the money. You also learned about the majesty that is corn. I can harvest this over and over again...It's amazing. Your knowledge had begun to expand. You were also saving up money and collecting wood and stone to have Robin build you a chicken coop. You even had a name for your first chicken...Nutmeg if it's brown or Miso if it's white. It was still morning when you finished watering your crops and checked the mail.

"Dear (Y/N), Tonight at around 10 o'clock PM, a rare and beautiful event will take place. The moonlight jellies will be passing by Pelican Town on their long journey south for the winter. We're all gathering at the beach to watch. You don't want to miss this!

See you tonight,

Demetrius."

Well, this sounds like fun. I bet Shane will be there too. You smiled. It was the last day of summer, so you harvested everything you could. It was time to say goodbye to the season. You spent most of your day foraging and enjoying the last bit of warm weather.

Night time came quickly and you headed over to the beach. You almost immediately ran into Linus. You asked him why he was all the way in the back. "I'll just sneak up when the jellies arrive..." he paused, "I don't want to bother anyone." You tried to convince him that he wouldn't be a bother, which made him smile a little, but refused to move.

You then looked for Demetrius. Since he had sent the invitation, you wanted to thank him. Maru, Robin, and he were all standing around together. You were not surprised that Sebastian was not with the family. Maru commented on the weather, Robin complained about how late it was, and when you tried thanking Demetrius he just went on about what a "remarkable species" the Moonlight Jelly are and how "lucky" we are that they stop here. You chuckled that Sebastian was related to them. As you continued walking, everybody seemed to be either thinking about the end of summer or the jellyfish.

Finally, you found Shane standing on the docks.

"Hey, there you are."

"Hi, Shane. This is so exciting!" you stood next to him.

"The jellies were here a year ago, and they'll be back again a year from now...nature is amazing." he continued to look into the water.

"Isn't it?" you smiled.

Jas peeked over from behind Shane and said, "I hope there are babies this year!"

"Me too! They're the cutest!"

Jas gave you a big grin.

Mayor Lewis walked over to you, "Good evening, (Y/N). The moonlight jellies are close...I already saw one glowing in the distance. Once we launch the candle-boat they'll come up to the docks and say hello."

"Let's do it now!" Jas yelled.

"What do you think...should I launch the boat now?" Mayor Lewis smirked at Jas.

"Yes! Yes!" continued Jas with the excitement of a child.

"Well, I think Jas has already answered for us all." you chuckled.

Mayor Lewis detached the rope that kept the candle-boat attached to the docks. It was gently pulled away by the waves. Jas had run off to find Marnie and Mayor Lewis had followed. Shane and you were sitting on the docks waiting for the show.

"So why are you hanging around the town drunk instead of your emo, goth friends?"

"Because I'd rather spend time with you, even if you are the town drunk." you gave a small laugh.

"I don't really get why, but okay." he didn't laugh.

It had become increasingly dark and you began to see little bulbs of light moving towards you. As they moved closer, you could see the shape of the jellies.

"It's wonderful to think that these little creatures simply happened to have bioluminescent organs that emit light. That, by nature, they could be this beautiful." you thought out loud.

"I guess some things are just naturally beautiful like that. They don't have to try. Like I said, nature is amazing." Shane looked at you.

"Exactly. That must be nice..." you paused, "It almost looks like we're looking at the night sky and the jellies are big, bright stars floating around."

You both stayed quiet for a few minutes enjoying the magical view of this last summer night. It was late and the night began to grow chilly as fall neared. You, being sensitive to the weather, began to shiver as quietly as you could. How am I already getting cold? And I didn't even bring a sweater. I don't want my shivering to annoy him.

"I'm right next to you. I can still hear you shiver, you know?" he put his arm around you.

"Hey, Shane?" you looked over at him, blushing.

"Yeah?" he looked at your after taking a drink of his beer.

"Like those jellyfish, let's be back here next year too and watch them together."

He didn't say anything. You wished he had.