Ice

The days had turned cold. Winter was here and your crops had all wilted. Crystals lightly fell, covering the ground in a white sheet of snow. The trees' branches barren except for the occasional leaf that refused to let go. When you visited your animals to feed them, you found them huddled by the heaters. You huddled with the chickens for a few minutes thinking of Shane. I hope he's doing okay. I haven't seen him much lately. Shane had been keeping to himself.. He was going to an intensive therapy program in the city, twice a week plus group therapy. You hadn't found him at the saloon since that night, but if he was getting better then you were glad.

The paths were a little icy so you had to be careful on your way to the Festival of Ice. You had promised Sebastian you'd make it out there. Sam had said you shouldn't just be staying home or doing work. That it was important to enjoy yourself and spend time with people. Sometimes it was hard to. But it felt good to have friends that cared.

As you arrived, you ran into Robin who stood in front of an ice sculpture, carefully hammering a pick into it, "Sorry but carving ice parapets requires my undivided attention."

"No worries at all, Robin! Sorry to bother." you felt a little dumb. As you turned around, Leah was standing there.

"Oh, ice. A beautiful material to sculpt in, but so impermanent." she sighed a little, staring at the crystal mermaid.

"Impermanence can be pretty scary. When something is so concrete. You can touch it and feel it...then in a short time...it is gone." you looked at the mermaid's overly soft facial features.

"Yeah...Are you okay, Y/N?" her eyes slightly squinted.

"Oh! Yes, yes! Don't worry about me!" you waved your hands around.

You scurried away as fast as you could running into Abigail. She grabbed you by the arm and led you to her snowman. The head was oddly shaped like a potato. A singular stick stood atop its head. One arm raised as if it were a ballerina.

"What do you think of my snow-goon?" she put her hand to her chin. Her skin was pale and blended well with the snow. Her complexion radiant. I wish I could always look so fresh and smooth, I bet the bags under my eyes are sagging extra right now. It made your stomach churn a little, but you did your best to stay positive.

"It looks like something I would fight in the caves." you chuckled.

"You really think so?! Sweet!" she smiled brightly.

Behind you was Penny working on a snowman with Jas.

"Hiii Y/N."

"Hey, Jas. You guys are building a snowman?" you smiled at her and Penny.

"What kind of snowman should we make, Y/N?" Penny asked still looking at the balls of snow layered on top of each other.

"Well... A classic one seems like your style, Penny." you suggested.

"Yea something conventional. Top hat, scarf, carrot nose. Thank you, Y/N. You ready to do this Jas?" she said handing her a carrot.

"So ready." she looked determined. Jas really had started to become her own person since you arrived. It was nice to watch her grow.

You finally spotted Shane by a little igloo.

"Hey, you."

"Hey, Y/N. How's it going?" he asked. His eyes still looked tired.

"It's going well. Trying to socialize a little and enjoy all the ice and snow. What about you?"

"Eh. If it was up to me, I'd probably have a pizza festival at the saloon instead..." voice a little hollow to you.

"Oh." you stared a little awkwardly unsure of what to say.

"I mean... Not actually. I was trying to make a joke. Uh.. this festival is nice."

"Ohh," you forced a chuckle, "it is nice. So, we haven't gotten much of a chance to talk lately. How has everything been going?"

"Hard. It's hard to not drink. To talk about all the garbage in therapy. And...honestly, I'm trying to be better,Y/N... but I miss..." a yell cut him off. Your heart skipped at what he might have said.

"Alright everyone!!! Let's begin this year's ice fishing competition. Contestants your goal is to catch as many fish as you possibly can in two minutes using the provided fishing rods." Mayor Louis announced, "Well, is everyone ready?"

"Wait!!!! Y/N was going to compete in this." Sam yelled and ran towards you to pull you to a small hole of cold water. He handed you a fishing pole.

"Oh, Sam...I don't think this is a good time..." you said as he put his arm on your shoulders.

"Come on, Y/N. Sebastian is really worried about you. We want you to have fun! You're young and should be enjoying yourself!" he looked into your eyes.

"Go ahead. We can catch up later, Y/N. I'll be watching. So, make sure to catch a lot for me." Shane said.

"Alright then. I'll do it." you smiled a little squeezing the fishing pole. How could you not?

It was a tough competition. Your nerves were driving you insane, but luckily the fish kept biting. You had gotten much better at fishing over time. It came in really handy. You hoped Shane really was watching. It made you more anxious but also happy.

By the end, everyone had crates full of fresh fish.

"Wow, that's a lot of fish!" Mayour Louis gagged, "...the smell..." he put his hand to his nose, "And now... for the winner of this year's ice fishing competition.... Y/N with six big slimy fish!! Here's your price. Enjo!" he said handing you some neat fishing tools.

"Congratulations, Y/N." you smelled the smoke.

"Thank you, Sebastian! I can't believe I won!"

"Yes... Shocking when you are such a fast learner and a hard worker. Would have never expected this outcome."

"Don't tease me." you chuckled.

"Hey, my birthday is in a couple days. Wanna come over and play Solarion Chronicles?"

"Of course! I'll be sure to bring a gift."

"You don't have to. But I know you will anyways. I'll see you then, Y/N."

"Sure, Sebastian."

"Oh and Y/N?"

"I know you can't always be smiling. Your smiles are like ice...melting from circumstances I can't control. But I'll still say... try to smile more, okay?"

"I'll do my best. Please don't worry about me."

"You know I will. See ya."

"Bye Sebastian. Be safe."

You looked around for Shane, but he didn't seem to be around anymore. You hoped he was missing you as much as you were always missing him.