A Family Dinner

A week of fall had gone by and you were still in awe at all the vibrant colors of the season. The trees varied from chestnut to reddish violet to deep orange. Bright leaves were falling in a swaying motion covering the wilting grass in colors. You began to find blackberries and mushrooms in abundance. All your crops had wilted, except for one. You discovered that corn would also growing during fall! Thank Yoba! How incredible can corn be? You went over to Pierre's and bought some more seeds. You already had some eggplants and bok choy growing, but you definitely needed pumpkin. It wouldn't be fall without pumpkins. You saw some other seeds that looked fun to grow, but decided to wait for now. While at Pierre's, you ran into Marnie.

"Good morning, Marnie. How are you today?" you said to her cheerfully.

"Hello, sweetie. I'm doing great and yourself?"

"I'm good, just gonna plant some pumpkin seeds."

"Of course, it is fall. I have been meaning to ask you. Would you like to come over for dinner with us?" she gave you a warm smile.

"Oh, that's very kind of you. I would love to. Should I bring anything?"

"Well, if you want to get on my nephew's good side, you can bring some hot peppers."

"Oh, uh," you looked away and chuckled, "sure, I can do that. I still have a lot from summer."

"Wonderful. Jas will be excited to see you. And I'm sure Shane will be too," she raised her eyebrows, "I won't tell him so it'll be a little surprise for him. He's home all day on Sundays anyways. See you at 6 PM then." and she walked away.

You just stood there for a minute. Oh, Yoba. What is happening?! I've been to Marnie's ranch sure, but only to inquire about animals. Am I going to have dinner with Shane's family? Is this actually happening?

You headed home at a quicker pace than normal. Immediately, you got to work on tilling the soil, putting some fertilizer, planting the seeds, and watering them. The manual labor helped keep your head clear. That is until you were done. It was barely 1 PM so you decided to go for a walk to try and keep your nerves in check. What if I completely mess this up? What if I do something stupid? What if Shane doesn't even want me there? This could be a terrible surprise for him. You were walking by the river when you heard someone.

"(Y/N)" it was Sebastian.

"Oh, hi. I'm sorry. I didn't see you. I wasn't paying attention." you gave a small laugh.

"You doing okay?" he took the cigarette off his lips.

"Yea, I'm good. Don't worry. I'm just nervous about something."

"Hey, sit down with me. Just watch the water flow. It's peaceful, isn't it?"

"Yea, it really is." you said after sitting next to him, the smell of tobacco lingered in the air.

"Sam usually comes with me on Sundays, but I like being here alone sometimes."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Should I leave?" you began to get up.

"No, you're fine. Just be quiet." he grabbed your hand and pulled you back down then quickly pulled his hand away.

You both sat in silence watching the river follow its course. You felt much more at ease. Time passed rather quickly.

"Thank you, Sebastian. I really appreciate you letting me keep you company." you broke the silence.

"It's no problem at all. I enjoyed it." he flicked a cigarette butt into the river.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you around, okay?" you said getting up.

"Right," he got up too, "See you around." he walked away.

You headed home to freshen up a bit and grab the hot peppers. On your way to Marnie's ranch, the anxiety began to build up again. You were feeling nauseous, but you had to show up. I can't just not show up.

You lightly knocked on the door. Marnie opened it in only a few seconds. She brightly told you to wait and she would go call Shane out of his room. You walked over to the kitchen where Jas was, you waved at her and she giggled. You set the hot peppers on the table. Marnie walked into Shane's door since he did not open the door.

"Oh dear..." you heard her say with a tone of concern. You headed over to Shane's room, worried that something might have happened to him.

"(Y/N), can you do something? He's out cold." she told you. Shane had collapsed in the middle of his room. He was surrounded by empty cans of beer. It was your first time in Shane's room, but you didn't really see beyond him collapsed on the floor. You couldn't notice any of the details. You looked at Marnie and walked to the kitchen to grab a bowl of cold water. You stood in front of Shane and poured it over his face.

"Whaa...?!" he woke up, seemingly surprised and very confused. He looked at you through dark eyes.

"Shane! What's the matter with you? All you do is mope around your room and drink beer!" Marnie was actually upset. You had never seen her upset. Shane looked away and stayed quiet for a few seconds.

"You wouldn't understand..." he muttered turning around.

"I'm worried..." Marnie's voice softened a little, "What's your plan? Don't you ever think about the future?" You noticed Jas had walked into the room.

"Plan?" Shane said with a scoff, "Hopefully I won't be around long enough to need a plan."

Jas' big eyes were already tearing up, but upon the ending of that sentence, she began to sob. Shane turned around, but Jas was already running out of the room, followed by Marnie.

"Jas...I'm sorry," Shane said looking down at his feet. You saw tears welling up in his eyes. He knelt down and pulled at his hair. His eyes were tightly shut now. It was as if he feared that the anger and hatred would leak out of him at any second. You hadn't said a word this whole time. You just stood there. Finally, you began to take a few steps towards him. You were crying.

"Stay away from me!" he screamed. You stood in place, shocked. You hadn't heard that in a long time.

"I'm sorry..." you took a step back then ran off altogether. You thought of your mother that night. Looking up at the moon, you told her, "I miss you, mom. Please help me save him in the way that I couldn't save you."