The Chicken Coop

"The little coop is complete. Robin said I can fit four chickens in it. I already have the name for my two first ones!" you sat at the saloon.

"Alright...but first, have you built a fence around it? Gotten plenty of hay for them? Did you make sure to build it by a grassy area?" Shane put down his beer.

"See...um...this is what I have you for," you smiled sheepishly, "but I did make sure it's by a grassy area with plenty of space as you previously told me I should do."

"Good thing tomorrow is Sunday then. I'll help you set everything up."

"Really? You don't have to. It's your only day off."

"What else would I be doing? Drinking in my room? Don't worry about it."

"Thank you. You're the best! I'm gonna head home. See you around 12 PM?"

"Sure thing. 'Night."

"Goodnight!" as you walked away you looked back and thought you saw him smile. Could it... be because of me? No... you chuckled. We're just friends, but I'm happy with that.

That morning you woke up at your usual time. Watered your crops and harvested what was ready. You gathered up some old stakes you had put away behind your house and laid them next to the green coop. You saw Shane began to approach...he was still wearing that Joja uniform even though he wasn't working. I wonder if he even has other clothes.

"Good morning, Shane!" you waved at him.

"Hey, morning."

"Okay, so this is the coop," you gestured towards it, "I gathered some stakes for the fence. I can make the holes and you set and hammer in the stakes."

"Alright then, let's get started." he picked up a stake and you handed him a hammer.

You usually don't mind work or even hard work. Today, though, you were enjoying it. There was something about looking up and seeing Shane there, both of you working together. It didn't seem much like work anymore. After the fence was all done and ready, you both headed to Marnie's ranch to get some hay and pick up the chickens.

"Hello, Marnie." you said as you approached the counter, Shane behind you.

"Good afternoon, dear," her eyes shifted behind you, "Shane? What are you doing up so early? And out of your room?" she smiled.

"Couldn't let the new farmer make the poor chickens suffer" he said playfully, "I'm helping her set up the new coop."

"Wonderful, wonderful. I hope my nephew will be of some good help to you then. What would you like to purchase?" she seemed happy.

"Oh, he is great help," you gave her a thumbs up with a serious look, "Could I have ten stacks of hay and two chickens, please?"

"Of course."

Shane carried the hay, while you carried the two baby chicks. He set up some food for them on the feeding bench and put the rest away.

"So, what are you gonna name them?"

"I will name them Miso and Nutmeg." you smiled as if proud, expecting him to make fun of you, but he didn't.

"Sounds good. Put little Miso and Nutmeg down then. Gently." you did and they immediately began to run around the coop. Shane watched them, kneeling over, occasionally petting their head with his finger. He smiled. Honestly smiled. It was one of those moments. When your mind begins to record because the scene is too important to forget. Because deep inside you, it changes something. Most often people tend to record bad memories with their mind. But this was one of those times when it wasn't.

"Make sure to let them out every day, but not when it rains. Don't forget to feed them if they're inside the coop and don't leave them outside overnight."

"Okay, Mr. Chicken Whisperer," you chuckled, "I'll take good care of them. I promise."

"I'm sure you will. They'll be happy here. You're weird, but you're very kind."

"Not as weird as you." you blushed a little.

"Yeah, maybe not that weird." he smirked.

"By the way, I have some veggies that I can stir fry in the house. You wanna have some dinner? It's late and I wanna thank you for all the help. I know you might not be a fan of veggie stir fry, but it's all I have." you said apologetically.

"No, that sounds good actually. I can take a break from pepper poppers and pizza once in a while." he gave a small chuckle.

"I'll learn to make those for you one day. For sure." you both went inside your house, "Sorry the place is sort of small, but make yourself at home."

"It's cozy. Thanks."

"You can just sit at the table while I make the food."

"Oh, no. I can help. What, am I supposed to just sit and watch you do all the work?"

"I guess not then," you smiled at his willingness to help, "Here, you can cut up these mushrooms then."

You cooked dinner together. It was a little sloppy. Shane obviously didn't have a lot of experience in the kitchen, but he tried. The mushrooms were cut too thick and you were pretty sure there were probably little bits of dirt still left on the kale, but you both ate it contently. It was the best dinner you had since you arrived.