Friday Night

You had been excited in anticipation of your date with Shane. It was basically a date, wasn't it? You didn't wanna jump to any conclusions. Just two good friends meeting for some dinner. Nothing else. But the thought kept making circles in your head.

You finished all your tasks early to have plenty of time to prepare. Frankly, pepper poppers were not hard to make. Just spicy breaded pepper filled with cheese. Regardless, you wanted to have time to make sure everything was perfect. Things with Shane had been cold ever since that night you found him at the cliff. You were trying to give him space to work through things in therapy and in his head. This time he was reaching out to do something with you. And no way were you letting that slip. If you could listen to his voice and see him smile for a bit, if you could watch him enjoy the pepper poppers you made for him...it would be more than enough. You cleaned up your small house, making sure to wipe the table, take out the trash, and mop the wooden floors. Robin had upgraded your house to add a nice kitchen a few months ago. It made it much easier to cook! You had even set up a cute little plant on one of the counter tops. After cooking up the pepper poppers it was nearing 7pm, so you had a decent fire going and began getting ready. I have to look extra fresh tonight! You turned and turned in the mirror, feeling displeased with your appearance. With a sigh, you tried encouraging yourself as best you could. You suddenly jumped at the sound of a knock at the door. Had time passed so quickly? Even though you two were friends and hung out plenty of times before, there was something about tonight that felt a little different. Maybe it was all in your head. You checked yourself one more time and went to go open the door.

"Hey, Shane!" you said letting him in.

"Hey. Thanks for having me."

"No, thank you for the recipe. I'm happy you thought about me." you turned away when you said that.

"Uh...well, yea. I...where can I put down my coat?" he rubbed his head.

"Oh. Just on the couch there by the TV will be good."

"It's nice to be here again, you know. It's been a while. I like your place. Feels very..." he paused, "you."

"What do you mean?" you chuckled.

"I don't know. The way you have the fire going, the cute plants here and there, scattered books...and the food smells delicious by the way. I brought some wine." he said handing you a bottle of cheap white wine.

"Should you...?" you hesitated for a second.

"It'll be fine. A bottle won't be enough for me to feel anything. Don't worry I won't do anything crazy."

"No, I didn't think you would. I just care about you."

"I know, I know. Come on. We've barely spent any time together. Stop being so serious." he poked your nose.

"That's not my fault!" you poked at his sides for revenge.

"Hey, don't poke me...I think I might be gaining weight." he sighed.

"Well, you ready to gain more tonight? Those pepper poppers aren't gonna eat themselves." you grabbed his hand and pulled him to the kitchen.

"Damn right. We're gonna be eating them." he sat on the table as you took them out of the oven.

"Here they are!" you put down the platter of crispy, cheesy peppers, "What do you think?"

"Chef Y/N, presentation gets 10/10. But the taste is the real deal breaker." he said grabbing one and taking a bite. His face began to turn slightly red.

"Are you okay? Is it too hot still?" he nodded, "Oh Yoba! I should have told you. Spit it out!" he shook his head and swallowed.

"I'm not gonna spit your food out! Pretty sure my tongue has first degree burns now, but that tasted amazing...11/10... Can I have some of that cold wine though?" he laughed.

"You're terrible!" but you meant the complete opposite. You poured a glass of wine for each and took the chair in front of him.

"Thank you, Chef Y/N. You wouldn't happen to also be a doctor, would you?" he joked and took a gulp of the wine.

"Well, sir! You are in luck. I indeed am! What seems to be the problem?"

"Oh, well doctor. I seem to have scalded my silver tongue completely."

"Open your mouth for me and stick out your tongue." he did and you leaned in across the table.

"Wha da ya think dokda?" he asked with his tongue still out. You couldn't help but laugh.

"Well..." you squinted and reached out your hand, "I think you're being dramatic." you bopped his forehead with the tip of your fingers.

"Very hurtful." he smiled.

You both enjoyed the pepper poppers in this way. Joking around and delighting in each other's company. An hour passed and you began feeling fairly buzzed. You didn't drink often so the alcohol hit you easily. It felt warm and you had to take bigger breaths than usual. You then decided to watch a movie on your TV, but neither of you seemed very interested in the movie. You kept talking randomly. At one point, you got up to get a couple blankets and sat closer to him. Then he got up to get the wine bottle and sat even closer.

"Hey, if I ever seem cranky or distant, just ignore it. I get in weird moods sometimes, but it's not about you...okay?"

"Okay. Just remember you can always talk to me. I know you have therapy now, but that doesn't mean you can't share things with me." you grabbed the remote and paused the movie.

"I know. I just get too deep inside my head and... I wonder if your life would be better without me. You have your friends and your farm. What do you want me around for? That's not me being sad, that's me being serious."

"Listen," you looked at him, "I love having you in my life. I know you may disagree, but I think you're a great person. I really enjoy spending time with you."

"Yea that makes no sense to me but...You're the best thing that ever happened to me, you know that right?" he looked back at you and you could feel your heart pounding.

"No, I'm not." you had no idea how else to reply. His face was softly lit by the faint glow of the fire.

"Yeah... Let's finish the movie then?" he looked back at the screen and it hurt to have his eyes move away from yours.

"Right." it felt like you ruined the mood, but you couldn't figure out how to bring it back without risking coming off as pushy... "Hey, Shane?"

"Yeah?"

"This part is scary. Can I hold your hand?" you asked.

"Is it? You were way ballsier than me when we found those ghost things at the community center." he raised his eyebrow at you.

"It is." you didn't look at him and just put your hand out.

"I guess it is then." and he took your hand. It was warm in yours and eventually your hands got a little clammy, but it was perfect.

The movie wasn't even horror, it was a comedy.

picture credit: https://liquid-crystal-gay.tumblr.com/