Stay

The last day of Fall was finally here. It was your favorite season, but it hadn't flashed by. It felt like so many things happened in Fall. Still, the year was quickly coming to an end. I've made so many memories here and so many friends...I'm so lucky that my grandpa left me this farm. Almost fittingly for the end of the season, there was a cold front passing. It was a dark, stormy Sunday. You stayed in bed a little longer than usual since there was no hurry to water any crops. Your thoughts led you to Shane. Yesterday had been such a wonderful Spirit's Eve. A smile crept onto your face as you remembered walking through the maze holding on to Shane's arm. You wish you'd had the courage to hold his hand.

Finally, you managed to get out of bed. The animals would be hungry. Robin had recently finished building a barn for you and Marnie had delivered some calves. They were still young and produced no milk, but you liked to talk to them and rub their heads everyday anyways. Shane would be proud of me for being such a good mom to them. As you placed hay in the feeders, you also set up a heater for both the coop and the barn. Winter was essentially here. Especially with this rain today.

After freshening up, you headed over to Marnie's. Shane would be there since it was Sunday. You were feeling the excitement of seeing him coursing through. It gave you more energy than even coffee could. But when you arrived, Marnie told you Shane had left a while ago.

"Don't worry. I'm guessing he went to the saloon, dear." she reassured you.

"But...Shane never goes to the Saloon on Sundays. It's the one day....Did something happen?" your heart was sinking.

"Nothing in particular that I know of. But you know how he is." she frowned.

"I'm gonna go look for him. Thanks." you quickly headed out.

"Let me know if anything's happened!" she yelled after you.

You swiftly walked to the saloon. I need to relax. I'm sure everything is fine. But what if something happened. Is Shane avoiding me? Is he upset about something? I thought yesterday was such a good day... What's going on...

"Gus, have you seen Shane today?" you tried to keep calm.

"Nope, but it's Sunday. Why you lookin' for him here?" Gus looked confused.

"He's not at Marnie's as he usually is."

"Well, he's bound to be somewhere around here. I'm sure he's fine, (Y/N)."

You didn't discuss the issue any further and left the saloon. You hurriedly looked all around town, but Shane was nowhere to be seen. On his birthday he went to the dock in Cindersap Forest. Maybe he's around there again. You had an eerie feeling that you couldn't shake off. You'd given up on your umbrella at this point. The rain had soaked through your clothes and the wind was cold, but you didn't care.

As you passed through the South of Cindersap Forest, near the sewer, you found a heart-breaking sight. Shane was lying on the ground, surrounded by beers. His clothes and face were smudged with mud. You kneeled beside him and shook his hand. It was extremely cold.

"(Y/N)... I'm sorry...*hic*... M...My life...It's a pathetic joke...Look at me..."

"Shane...don't say that...Come on, let's go home..." you pulled his hand, but he didn't move.

"Why do I even try?" he began to sob. "I'm too small and stupid to...to take control of my life."

"Please...don't say things like that. You're not small or stupid." your eyes began pouring with tears now.

"I'm just a p...piece of soiled garbage flittering in the wind...." he burped. "I've been coming here often lately...looking down..."

"What are you saying...?" you were crying now.