Chapter 2

Rain 

I had arrived a bit earlier today to talk to my counselor. After talking to her for a quick session, I was somewhat pleased. I was doing extremely well. My grades were what I expected, but my rank was second place. 

I snarled a bit. 

It was obviously that person on top again. I should've been satisfied, but knowing it was her that stood in my way from being so close to the top irked me. Well, it didn't matter much anyway.

I wanted to leave the pack.

And soon I would not have to deal with her. My goal was to go to an elite university and then move far away from here to a remote place with no wolves but big open fields to let my wolf stretch when I felt like it.

I walked passed two girls and one of them looked new here. She was walking next one of designated student tour guides. When she looked up from her paper her neck tilted almost 90 degrees and then slightly gaped at me.

"Holy-," she never finished what she was saying realizing I was staring at her. She blushed and put her head down. When she thought she was far enough, she whispered, "I've never seen a high schooler so tall. Like a freaking skyscraper!"

"Haha, yeah. He's famous here for being the tallest guy in school. The guy's super smart too. He's so tall but super thin and because of that, he used to get picked on a lot during the younger years."

Thanks to my sensitive hearing I can hear their failed attempt at whispering easily. 

I was just an average super gangly guy to humans, but I was pathetic in the pack. Don't get me wrong, I was still stronger than any human, but amongst the other male wolves, I would probably one of the, if not the, weakest. 

It's not because I lack the capability to be strong, it's because my wolf was not nearly as used as much as others nor was I was never trained properly. My mother never wanted me to leave her alone to move into the pack house. She cried and created a fuss. After my father and brother died, the pack elders thought it was fair to allow her to keep me with her. It was for her sanity and they took pity on the poor woman. They could spare one teen wolf. 

She says she's doing this to protect me from being influenced into doing something stupid that could get me killed, but I secretly wonder if that's all, there is to it. She's my mother and I sometimes think she's insane.

Honestly, I think I am a pretty good son.

She drives me to school every day. She picks me up after school. I am always there on time. I go everywhere with her. Once I tried to go to the library to study, but once I told her I wanted to go alone, she started crying and bringing up things about John and dad again.

I love her; I really do...but being with one person every minute of every day besides school can be...

Well, how would anyone like it? Not too well, I suppose.

However, I never once complained because I knew she was working hard for the both of us, knowing that the death of her son and mate took a big toll on her emotional and mental health.

My cousin, Tony once told me I am too nice. Nowadays, even I think so, sometimes.

Ah, the main office. I looked up and saw the framed list for the year. My face dropped. Again. I was second. Second to that...that witch.

No, she gives witches a bad name even though she's part witch. Most were not exactly good but neutral. I mean some witches were evil but no matter how evil they were, they could never be as twisted as her and she's only part witch from her paternal grandmother's side.