Chapter 4

Giselle

When I looked into his eyes, I felt life burst into me.

What was that?

For the first time, I felt true deep emotion. Something that felt real. I had  felel before but comparatively, they seemed fake, like I had finally awakened.

Then another surge of emotions hit me. I didn't know what they were. The only one I knew was anger.

Nothing could have kept me from just looking at him.

Goddamnit, all.

I knew what happened.

Mates. That's what we were. Even though our birthday is tomorrow, some mates have a strong enough pull to realize it on their own.

I have never been distressed about anything this much. I always had a plan, but this... this was bad. I had once brought in a mystic who could sense mate bonds to the pack house to make sure no one near me would be my mate. I paid her a fortune to check every unmated male there. 

Of course, the one unmated male in my generation to not live in the pack house was my mate. I did not enjoy the irony the Moon Goddess was ungraciously bestowing upon me.

This could not be happening. I did not want this. I was praying for this not to happen.

Was this actually some form of punishment from the Moon Goddess?

My plans become Alpha would be ruined. I would be the first real female Alpha. Not an Alpha's mate, but an actual Alpha. But if I have a mate, all would be ruined.

My mate would be the future Alpha, not me.

It's a good thing he didn't notice. If he did, I wouldn't have known what to do right now.

I let out a deep sigh.

Either way, why is it someone so... awkward and weak? I don't think the pack would appreciate such an Alpha anyway.

Though I know it's not his fault. My father actually warned his mother and the elders that Rain should at least be trained the basics just in case.

His mother denied that he would ever have to fight and the elders took pity on her. They said an Alpha should not try to step in between a mother and her pup; it would set a bad example.

Bullshit is what my father said in a more subtle way.

 But they had a point. There was no need for an Alpha to mess with private matters within a family unless it affected the whole pack. Rain not training would hardly have any effect on a pack our size, though his mother also rarely let him shift, which would thoroughly lower the strength of his wolf.

I consider that parental neglect or abuse.

When I take over, I'm putting that into place as abuse. Not being able to shift and unleash our wolf spirits is like torture. She might as well just physically beat him with a silver rod, that would be more pleasant.

I growled.

Now I was even getting angry at the thought of his mother beating him. I was disgusted with myself. It's sickening how I always ridiculed those sappy couples in my head, and now I was thinking like them.

By right, Rain could have been my future Beta, but it was decided Tony would take over since his father was the current Beta after Rain's father died.

Therefore, my father complied, but not before saying they would regret it.

I chuckled.

Boy, would they regret it now. The elders of our pack were against having a female Alpha rule. It's almost never done. Needless to say, they were excited about tomorrow, praying that I'd find my mate.