sixteen

i debated from afar, whether or not i should call him. one thing held me back.

fear.

i was scared of rejection. i was scared that he might be angry with me. i didn't want to be scared. i wanted to get this over with.

i let out a sigh, reaching to grab my phone as i typed a message to him.

me :
hey seungcheol..

aish.. that's too casual. we haven't spoken to each other in two years and we didn't end off on good terms.

me :
it's been two years.. let's meet up for some coffee. we need to talk.

that's way too long. it feels like we're business partners discussing some weird strategy.

me :
we need to talk.

i guess that'll work..
it has to..

i decide to text joshua as well, keeping him updated since he practically convinced me to do this.

me :
i texted seungcheol.. just waiting for a response. i'm sweating.

within seconds i receive a call from him. and about two minutes into the call, i get a response from seungcheol.

"oppa! he answered!" i said, sitting upright. he rolls his eyes. "stop cheering and read the message!"

seungcheol :
it's been awhile, jae. let's go for coffee then.. my treat?

"he's asking me out for coffee." i said. joshua squeals. "crap, i forgot he's right in the other room. alright, go for it."

me :
sure. when are you free?

"he's obviously free right now, jae. why else would he be responding so quickly." joshua says, making me whine as he judged my texts.

seungcheol :
i'm free right now, if you're up for it. let's meet in.. 15 minutes or so? the usual coffee spot.

"we're meeting in fifteen." i told joshua. "noona! pick out an outfit." vernon says, squeezing into the frame. "oh hey hansol-ie." i greeted, giving him a smile.

he waves happily.

"alright.. i think i'll just go as i am." i said, showing them my reflection in the mirror.

i was wearing denim jeans with black platform heeled boots with a plain white shirt.

"good selection." they say, approving my choice of clothing.

"alright, wish me luck." i said, looking back to them. "you'll be fine, jae. update me afterwards, alright?" joshua says, giving me a smile.

"hwaiting noona!"

and with that, i locked up the apartment and i left.

==========

as i began walking to the store, i see a black car pull up. and as expected, seungcheol steps out.

surprisingly, we were wearing similar clothing. he was wearing him denim with a white shirt as well.

"i see we still end up coordinating." he says as a greeting, gesturing to our clothes. i chuckled, agreeing with him as i nodded.

i enjoyed his vibe. friendly and happy. i appreciated that he didn't make it awkward.

"usual?" he questions as he looks over to me. i nod.

soon, our coffee is done and we sat outside to talk.

"i was stupid." we said at the same time, making us laugh.

"i'll go first." he says, which i had no objection to.

"honestly, i was scared.. of being in a relationship, knowing both of our fandoms are very territorial. all those things i said at the cliff, i meant it. i really did feel that strongly for you." he says, keeping the eye contact.

"i thought to myself, how ideal. two best friends, in a relationship." he says, making me think the same thing as well.

"but.. it was awkward, for both sides." i pointed out, making him nod. "it felt like i was holding hands with my best friend. not the person i liked. i guess we were so used to each other that we did couple things even before we were a thing." he says with a chuckle.

"i agree with you.. it didn't feel like we were any different from usual," i began.

"when you called me, i just thought of you being cowardly. i didn't think deeper into the subject of how it could affect us in the long run.." i admitted.

"joshua.. told me about your relationship. and.. i'd like to thank you for keeping in mind my career and reputation as well." i said, making him chuckle.

"lee jae eun. i've seen you work your ass off since day one, i'm not throwing all your hard work away just because of some petty thing." he says with a smile.

"so.. are we good?" i asked, furrowing my eyebrows. "depends, are you going to help me get our of the arrangement?" he asks, knowing i would be more than willing as he offers a hand for me to shake.

"deal." i said with a smirk, shaking his hand.