chapter twenty two

(name) slumped down in the cell next to ah ro. she groaned slightly and let herself curl up into ah ro, wanting to just go back to sleep again.
the guards came storming in and pulled open the cage door of the cage she was in. he grabbed ah ro and her, motioning for the other guards to grab the rest of the prisoners.
they were brought out into a courtyard where the prince was seated on a throne at the top of a set of stairs. the hwarang were lined up in front of the stairs, the prisoners shoved to the ground to the left of them.
(name) tried to catch ji dwi's eye, but he was staring past her at ah ro. she felt herself deflate a bit, wondering if what he had said before was true.
"i love you,"
"so, the king is here," the prince laughed, but it made (name) uneasy. he motioned for the prisoners to be brought forward. "i will give the king ten minutes to come forward or else these prisoners will die. you have ten minutes."
(name) held her breath as she stared at ji dwi, hoping he would do something. his hands were clenching and unclenching; he was frantically glancing around.
(name) glanced at the prince. she took a sharp breath as he motioned to the guard near him. the guard raised his arm and the soldiers drew their swords. (name) stopped breathing as the swords sliced down, killing the people.
(name) felt herself get grabbed and shoved forward; she looked up and found herself in front of ji dwi. she made eye contact with him, her eyes pleading with him.
"that wasn't ten minutes!" soo ho protested.
the prince just laughed. "oops, i must have counted wrong. this time let's make it eight minutes for the king to step forward."
ji dwi's eyebrows scrunched. what should he do? risk being called out as king or leave (name) and ah ro to die. he dug his fingernails into his palm as he thought, meeting (name)'s eyes again.
he made up his mind. he couldn't not do anything - he had to step forward. he gave (name) one last glance, meeting her pleading eyes with a firm look.
"i am the king!"

lmao not climactic at all cause we probably all know who that was. sorry for the late update i completely forgot that i had finished this chapter.