chapter twenty eight

(name) woke up a few days later to an exhausted ji dwi slumped in the chair next to her and soo ho passed out leaning against her bed. as she glanced around, she saw hansung, one of the younger hwarangs.

gently, she shook ji dwi and soo ho awake, feeling bad every second as their tired eyes cracked open and yawns escaped their lips. both immediately jumped up when they saw it was (name) who had woken them up, ji dwi running out to call ah ro and soo ho fussing over her.

"i'm fine," (name) repeated softly to soo ho. "it's not the worst thing i've had."

"i don't care!" soo ho exclaimed. "i really don't want you to get hurt anymore."

ah ro barged into the room. "okay, everybody out."

-----

"(name)? mind telling me what happened?" ah ro asked as she changed the bandages around (name)'s wound.

(name) took a deep breath and nodded. "okay. bring soo ho and ji dwi in here when i'm done telling you. they deserve to know as well."

(name) let her mind take her back to when she was a child. "my mother really did live my father, at one point in time. it's the reason they had a child. but my mother got disappointed when i was born since i was a girl, and they wanted a boy.

she began to go out, often for days at a time and my patient father would always welcome her home with a smile on his face, even after having to take care of me without getting much sleep at all.

i suppose that he eventually found out that she was sleeping with other men, trying to get pregnant and have a baby boy instead, and that took a toll on him. when i found out, i was five and i didn't understand why he was slicing his wrist open every night but eventually i got him to stop.

anyway, mother never stopped sleeping around and so my father killed himself. my mother didn't even cry. apparently my mother had also gotten pregnant with my little brother and then practically abandoned both of us when she realized that he wasn't going to grow up the way she wanted him to."

ah ro's eyes had begun to tear up. "that's horrible," she whispered. "how could she do that to you?"

(name) shrugged. "i don't know. either way, my family had always been close to the royal family and so if people are coming after me, they must have killed my mother off. we are threats according to them, and i despise queen jiso as much as they do. the only reason i don't kill her is because she is keeping my brother safe."

suddenly the door to the infirmary slammed open, revealing (name)'s raging mother and her terrified little brother being pulled behind her, sobbing.

big thx to @daydreaminsvt- for making a cover for me
😅 i change my covers too much

btw i'm changing my username so...
now it's gonna be @chocolatebubbletae bc that's also my instagram and it's easier