Chapter 15: Meeting Paul

We both got up off the ground after a while and Todd took me behind a tree a looked in the distance as he nudged me on the side and pointed to a lone deer. He jumped out and ran like the wind over to the deer and by the time the deer seen him he was only about a foot away from the deer. As his fangs sank into its flesh and the animal collapsed as it died. “Jackie come over here,” he said as I ran over there.

            “Todd, how did you do that?” I said in awe.

            “Practice, tons and tons of practice,” he said smiling as he waved his hand over top of the deer. “Come over here and take a drink,” he said as I took a whiff of the blood drips on the ground and my throat burnt. The next thing I knew I lunged by Todd and dug my fangs into the deer and drank like there was no tomorrow.

            I then looked up at Todd, “mhmm that was delicious and I feel better already,” I said smiling at him; as I went down and drank some more.

            “Well that’s good for that is an essential part of our survival. You drink animal blood instead of human,” Todd said as he took a drink himself out of the deer until the blood was almost clean out of the deer. Only leaving it with only its flesh and bones lying on the ground.

            We worked for a week together in our spare time in the forest. Todd was teaching me how to control my thirst and day after day the burning in my throat started to subside. I could now be around humans easier as Todd taught me how to use animal blood as a substitute.

            Then he started to let me go out on my own. However I knew he still kept a close distance just in case I would come into trouble. Such as a human or a vampire killer for apparently there are some out there.

            It was a Sunday and I was out by myself technically. Todd was about hundred or so miles away but could come back in an instant. Plus this vampire part makes our vampire senses keener and so he could always hear if I was in trouble.

            I was hungry but not much so I jumped on a rabbit and drank the blood until I heard a crunching within the leaves behind me. I turned around and saw a guy around me age of seventeen or eighteen. I had blood covering my mouth and literally dripping down my chin as I looked him in the eye. However instead of scaring him away he looked at me out of curiosity and moved closer to me. I took a defensive stance until I told myself that he wasn’t here to hurt me so I relaxed the most I could. He walked until he was about a foot away from me and stopped.

            I noticed I still was holding the rabbit so I tossed it and wiped off my mouth as I tried to find something to say. My fangs still was visible for I hadn’t figured out how to change them fast enough. Todd told me with time I will. I didn’t know what to say so I started off with the most common thing, “Hey...umm my name is Jackie. What’s your name?”

            He still looked curiously at me but reply, “Paul, my name is Paul. May I ask of why you’re umm...eating raw meat?”

            I knew this question was coming in my mind, “Well actually to tell the truth I was drinking the blood. I use the animal blood as like a...umm substitute.” I said commonly.

            “A substitute for what?” he asked curiously.

            “For well human blood,” thinking telling him that he would run away but he just walked a step closer. Then I heard somebody in the forest and out of nowhere someone was behind me. I looked back and it was Todd who was staring at the guy. “Todd, this is Paul,” I said as commonly as possible.

            “Hello Paul, curious why haven’t you run away from her?” Todd said upfront to the question that was running through my mind.

            “Well I was curious and truthfully I’m not afraid. I don’t know what you are but I’m really a person who understands the weirdest stuff,” he said laughing.

            “Were dhampirs, half human and half vampire,” Todd said as he took over answering his questions.

            “Ah I see. Now I get the blood substitute thing,” Paul said who surprisingly still not afraid of us. My fangs were even still hanging out and he didn’t even flinch at the sight of me. In fact he seemed to be fascinated by us.

***picture of Paul on the side***