Chapter Seventeen:

We walk into the hall where we're greeted by a crowd of people in panic. We frown at each other in confusion before stopping someone who is on their way out and Gabe asks,"What is going on?"

"We've had a breech in security. No one knows who it is", he then walks away.

"QUIET!!!!" I yell into the room and everyone grows silence. "Benton!! Status report!"

"There was a feather at the fence with a clean cut through it. We don't know who did it. We did send out an alert to everyone to come here for safety purposes".

"Okay. I appreciate your concern, but never do anything this drastic without consulting me or my wife", Gabe speaks authority clear in his tone.

"Yes, sire".

"Okay. Everyone remain calm. Stay here. Warriors and trackers come with us", he states.

The parties walk out after us. We head to the fence where the feather was leaving half the warriors outside the mansion for protection purposes. We start investigating the crime scene. Feathers only belong to my kind or aves. Aves can be dangerous if they're against you. But if you are in good terms with them, it's all good.

A twig snaps and we all turn to the direction of the sound. True enough, an Ave stood before us majestically, but says nothing.

"What do you want, ave?" I ask straightforward.

He shrinks into the semi-ave stage where feathers are covering his privates and he still has his wings and talons. "Sorry about the fence, but we need your help".

"How so?" Gabe asks.

He sighs and behind him a crowd of at least 30 wounded aves come from the woods behind him. We all gasp at the sight before us.

"What happened??" I ask concerned.

"We were ambushed at our home. The others were all killed. We were the only survivors. The vampires.... They are trying to wipe out our kind".

I exhale squeezing Gabe's hand. He looks into my eyes and knows what I am thinking. "Help them into the mansion. NOW!" He orders the trackers and warriors. They all spring into action to help them to the mansion.

"Thank you so much. I'm Starter Jones, their king", he says.

I offer my hand and he shakes it,"I'm the empress, Regina and this is my husband, the emperor, Gabriel. We will do our best to help you. Our Doctor and nurses will help the wounded".

He nods and I can see the gratitude in his face. We start our way back while a few of the Warriors go to fix up the fence. As we're walking I ask,"So did the queen of make it...?"

He looks somber and gives up a slight smile saying,"I never met her, but I was of age so it had to wait. So here I am a solo king with my few wounded people. I feel pathetic and useless".

"Don't beat yourself up. At least you were able to save some of them. You tried your best and that's all that matters", I smile encouragingly.

He smiles reassured a little more. We get to the mansion in time to hear them release the rest of the our "pack". We now have close to 1000 people directly under our care and a whole lot more that we oversee. It's getting intense...

I lean into Gabe and he embraces me lovingly making me feel a wave of calmness go through me. "You okay?" He asks concerned at my actions.

I just nod and say,"I think being pregnant is starting to take a toll on me and it's only been a week. I'm gonna die by the time I reach the finish line", I whine to him making him laugh softly and kiss my forehead.

"You're a very strong person, babe. I know it's gonna be rough, but you've got this", his smile makes me feel reassured about the whole situation once more.

I look away to see King Starter just tending to his flock and making sure they're okay. He's a great leader, I hope he realizes that sooner than later because they need him to be confident in himself.

I look up to meet my hubby giving me a look. "What?" I ask cautiously.

"You're staring.... Should I be worried?"

I roll my eyes and say,"Uh, no. I was just thinking that he's a good leader cause he was able to save some of his flock inspite of all the trauma they were subjected to."

He nods understanding. "Seriously though? I'm having your kid and I love you. Don't you play that game. I'm yours alone".

He sighs and says,"I know. It just makes me uneasy when you stare at other dudes".

"I know. I killed one of your chics remember?"

"She wasn't my chic", he answers frustrated.

"Guess we're even now, huh? Except I have no interest in the dude".

"Empress?"

We turn to face him and there he was only in a pair of jeans that hung loosely around his waist, shirtless showing all his muscle curves. I instantly turn to hide my face from him in Gabe's chest. "Uh... Dude, put a shirt on please".

"Oh. I'm used to not having one on. I apologize". He shuffles around and I slowly turn to see him in a baggy tshirt.

"Lovely. Now, how can we be of assistance?"

"Well, I was wondering why you didn't turn us away... I mean, what if the vampires come after us here".

"Then we'll turn you in", I say nonchalant. His face is so priceless I can't help the laugh that escapes my lips,"I'm kidding. You should've seen your face. Life is all about loving, protecting and helping when you can. What went through my mind when I saw your flock was: 'What if that was our pack?' I want others to help us in our time of need too".

He nods astonished and turns to Gabe and says,"You are a lucky man, emperor", he bows in respect with a diplomatic smile adorning his face.

As he walks away, I turn to face my hubby and say,"See? Even he can tell how much I love you", I wink at him making him raise an eyebrow.

"I think he was referring to your intelligence..." He trails off.

I shrug casually saying,"Meh. Same difference". I start to walk away when I stopped by a little figure hugging on my leg.

"Thank you so much, Empress".

I look down and my heart melts when I see an approximately 6 year old girl hugging on my leg. I exhale shakily imagining what she could have possibly gone through and just praying that my child does not have to go through any of that. I lean down, pick her up and embrace her small body in my arms. "You're welcome, little one. What is your name?"

"Janette", she answers pulling away slightly.

"Well, Janette... Where are your mommy and daddy? Are they here with you?"

As I finish asking, I notice her face drop and her demeanor change completely. When I hear her sniffle, my heart breaks completely. How can people be so cruel?? I hug her tight in my arms and we both stay there in silent sobs. "Im so sorry, sweetie. I'm hear for you if you need anything at all, okay?" I face her by pulling away from her slightly as she nods. I then continue to say,"Would you like me to be your new mommy?"

Her face lights up as she asks,"Really?!?? You wanna be my new mommy??"

"Yes", I answer nodding and beaming.

"That would be nice since I only have the flock nanny as a guardian", she smiles slightly.

My heart is filled with joy. "Would you like to meet your daddy?"

She gasps excitedly,"I get a new daddy too?"

"Yep", I answer her as we start our way toward Gabe who is now addressing pack issues.

-------------------- x -------------------