Chapter Eighteen:

"Are you serious?!!? You randomly adopted a child without consulting me??! Why?!?"

"Because!! She makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy. I want her to be mine... ours", I respond firmly and no she's not with us right now, she's downstairs getting cleaned up.

"There's too much going on, Regina. We cannot assume one more responsibility on top of having a baby on the way. I dunno what you were thinking, but I suggest that you get it together and go tell that little girl that we cannot take her in before it's too late".

My heart breaks hearing his point of view and I feel a tear roll down my cheek. "I don't want... Life without her... If you change your mind, we're going to be at home", that is all I say before trotting out of the room closing the door shut behind me. I can't believe how selfish he is being right now. He wasn't nice about it either.

I exhale as I stop by the stairs breaking down in tears. Ava? Am I wrong?

"Of course not, sweetie. I love that you're following your gut. She smiles at me and after what seems like 5 minutes, I hear her voice ask,"Mommy, are you okay?"

I look up at her teary-eyed still. She reaches over and wipes the tears running down my face away,"why are you crying? Did something happen?" She asks worry and concern clear in her voice.

I exhale and just pull her into a hug feeling her gently run her little hand around my back soothingly. I feel my body relax against her. I really want her to be my baby, I really do. I know it seems weird because I'm pregnant right now, but I really want her.

I pick her up as I stand and tell her we're going home. She gets so excited about that skipping ahead of me toward the exit. We drive there because our house is at the furthest end of the territory and so it's perfectly secluded from the rest. We walk in and she starts looking around in awe. I start to walk toward our 3rd bedroom in the house and tell her,"So this is gonna be your new room, my room is upstairs with the baby's room".

"Baby?"

"Yes sweetie. Mommy's having a baby soon. Would you like a little sister or brother?"

"Yeah", she answers beaming and I can't help, but grin forgetting my little escapade with Gabe.

"Good, because they're coming regardless", we both giggle before I say,"Alright sweetie, let's get you all dressed up and you can sleepover in my room", I notify her with a smile.

"Yay!!" She hops joyfully and let me lead her to the bathroom as she skips alongside me.

------------------- x --------------------

She's completely knocked out right now just cuddled into me clutching onto my clothing like I might leave her any minute now. I feel saddened by this only because she's so young and is having to experience all these traumatic events.

But I still want her. I know she might have nightmares for a little bit before her Mind settles and before she can fully be a family with us, but she is worth it.

I smile thoughtfully and plant a kiss on her forehead before snoozing.

----------------------- x --------------------

I wake up to laughter which confuses me. When I remember that I was sleeping with Janette because dad was being a jackass, I extend my arm across the bed searching blindly for her. When I don't meet her body, I open my eyes and scan the bed. I am now anxious as I don't find her in bed. I jump out of bed and run toward the sound of laughter.

When I walk in, her and Gabe are on the couch playing a game. They both look up at me when they hear my sigh of relief. My legs go weak and I collapse to the floor.

"Mommy!!" "Regina!!" They exclaim simultaneously and run to me. I am out of breath as I say,"Oh my gosh. You scared me! I thought she was being abducted by the vampires and they just happened to be tricking her into trusting them", I take a few deep breaths as they both chuckle at my assumption.

"I'm okay, mommy", she says and hugs me.

I hug her back feeling at peace. I sigh again in relief.

"You okay?" Gabe asks concerned.

"I'm still mad at you, blockhead".

I hear him sigh as I open my eyes to meet his gaze. "You have to do more than get along with her to get me to forget your little escapade. You were not nice and I don't appreciate that".

She pulls away asking,"What's wrong, mommy? Did daddy say something mean to you?"

I try standing when she pulls away as I respond to her saying,"Don't worry about it, sweetie", I slowly and carefully stand holding my stomach, but then feel a little dizzy,"Whoa!" I grip onto the couch that's right by me.

He's on his feet instantaneously giving me some form of stable support. I look at him in a bit of a haze before I black out as Ava takes over.

--------------------- x --------------------

Ava takes over and Janette gasps in shock seeing her true face. "Hi sweetie. It's still mommy. Just not feeling well so she had to let me take over, I'm Ava", she offers a casual hand shake which Janette takes cautiously but with a small smile because Ava is not that different from Regina.

She looks up at me and says,"We need to talk... Alone".

I feel a sting in my heart and I know it's my fault that Regina isn't feeling well. I nod and we leave the house to drop off Janette at the movie theatre for a "Trolls" showing because she showed interest in the movie yesterday.

When we head out of the theatre, she starts saying, I don't know how else to tell you that you need to stop being a jerk".

"Look. I admit I wasn't the nicest person", she scoffs,"Ok fine. I was harsh. I was under a lot of stress with what's left of King Starter's flock moving in, the false alarm on Benton's part moving all those people into the mansion without consulting us and the baby. Add on a 6-year-old?!??! I was caught off guard on every aspect and I know I shouldn't have let it out on you. But I just had no control over my actions at that point. I apologize".

When I look back up again, she's back to normal still looking weak. She sighs deeply like she's exhausted and drained. "I'm so sorry babe. I didn't mean to say what I said. I should've been supportive, but I suck under pressure and there was way too much going on at the time".

"So..?" She asks trailing off.

"So what...?" I ask trailing off as well not knowing what she was getting at.

"Are we adopting her?"

I sigh in relief,"Yes! Yes we are", I answer feeling a bit overwhelmed.

She nods and gives up a small smile,"Thank you".

I bring her into my arms hugging her as tight as I can without hurting her or baby. "I love you so much, Regina".

She sighs,"I love you too, Gabriel.... Next time, just tell me you'll get back to me later and I'll know you're under pressure".

I nod pulling away and respond,"Ok, I will. I promise", I smile slightly.

She plots a peck on my lips then slowly and carefully walks up the stairs to head back into the theatre. I hold on to her hand the whole time and go in with her so that we can spend some family time with Janette.

--------------------- x ------------------