29: The News

Flickering.
That's all I could hear. That's all I paid attention to. The light above my head. It's all I could focus on.
"Miss Reaper, did you hear me?" The doctor spoke. I did in fact hear her. I wanted to pretend like I didn't. Like what she said was just a nightmare, and nothing more. "Miss Reaper, I know this information is hard to process, but-"
I whipped my head to stare at her now. Her pursed lips, worried yet firm brown eyes, her hands clasped together neatly on the desk in front of her. "Why did you do a brain scan?"
"You passed out, Miss Reaper. You didn't pass out from blood loss of the drive by you were involved in-" A lie we had told her. It sounded much better than 'we came in guns ablazing at a weed farm one of the biggest LS gangs owned to save a homie. "-But from-"
"No no no, don't say it," I snapped. "It's not true. They would have seen it before. I was in a coma for two years. How do you miss something like that?" I asked, breathless, my eyes starting to overflow with tears.
She hesitated. "Before it was just a shadow on the scan. Nothing serious. Nothing to look into. But it grew. Lucy Reaper, you can't pretend the tumor isn't there. It's there. Have you had moments where you have no clue what's going on? Moments where you feel like you're frozen in time, and nothing around you makes sense?"
The Paleto Bay heist.
I kept silent.
She continued.
"Have you had moments where things set you off that normally wouldn't?"
"No, no," I spoke with a harsh laugh. "I'm always set off by everything because of my personality, not-"
"The areas where the tumor is putting pressure on would cause symptoms or situations such as the ones I've told you. Now, these symptoms don't happen to everyone with-"
"How long do I have?" I asked, staring into her eyes. The eyes that held the answer.
"We have two different forms of treatment, Lucy. You may just survive this."
I pursed my lips. "Give it to me straight, Doc. What are my chances?"
She hesitated. "Sixty-forty. We can go in there and attempt to cut out the tumor. If we miss some, which is likely, as it is a dangerous procedure with risks, we start you on Chemo to reduce it further, or at least stop if from growing."
"When do I need to have the surgery by?"
"The sooner, the better. I have an opening in two weeks. If not, you're going to have to wait a while as I've got a very busy schedule." Her eyes were fierce with confidence now. "I have done this procedure multiple times. You want me to be your Doctor."
Two weeks.
"Okay." I spoke, I stared out of the window. "Let's do it."
--
I walked outside to the waiting room where  Trevor sat. He shot up out of his chair when he saw me. "Babe, oh thank sweet baby Jesus. Why did they pull you into an office? What's wrong? I thought it was just bullet wounds."
I looked into those worried, tired eyes of his. Man, he looked like he was awake all night waiting for me.
I smiled. "Nothing's wrong. It was just bullet wounds, they wanted to ask me if I was in any danger. Just told them it was by random, that I wasn't a target. I'm fine."
Why did I just lie to him?
"Oh, man you had me worried," he laughed, shaking a finger at me as he paced. He let out a sigh. "Okay. Let's go." He was scratching his head now, leading me out of the waiting room, leading me to his Bodhi parked on the side of the building.
I followed him to his truck in silence. I couldn't tell him what was going on. Right? Not until The Big One was over. . .And that was in a week. I could last a week without telling him. I could do that.
"Hey, you sure you're alright?"
I looked up to find him staring at me. He had the passenger door wide open, and had been waiting for me to get in. I didn't even notice. "I'm just tired, babe. Let's go home so I can go to sleep," I laughed. "Silly me." I shook my head, and sunk into the chair. "Silly me."