33: Dinner Preparations

Michael and Franklin wanted to come over to dinner to discuss The Big Score, and most likely, see how I was holding up. Although they had no idea about the real state of my health, they had an inkling. I mean, when you hear someone has head trauma, and then very recently crashes their favorite car on the freeway because they blacked out at the wheel, what else could you expect? 

"Make sure to tell them it's not your trailer," I spoke to Trevor as I entered my home with hands full of groceries. I had gotten a ride from Maurice, who knew of my predicament and was willing to help me get through recovery. He was doing a great job on operations, which I still checked in on every morning via phone. "They might be waiting by your place for thirty minutes before realizing we're not there."

Trevor started to unpack the groceries with me. "It's not too hard for them to figure out." He paused for a moment. "On second thought, Michael's not the brightest." He took his phone out and started to make a text message, walking into the living room. I chuckled at his blunt comment, and started to look at all of the ingredients I had sprawled out on my counter. I was going to make Fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken, and for desert, Tiramisu, my uncle's special recipe. It took me less than an hour to make, but since it could just sit in the fridge until after dinnertime, I was going to make it now, in the afternoon, and make the pasta right before their arrival time.

I also made sure to get Pinot Grigio for us to drink as we eat, as it would pair nicely with the pasta. I smiled as I became excited about the night, I hadn't done this before. It was on my bucket list to have a nice dinner with friends at my house.

I felt my stomach drop and sadness flood in, taking a shaky sigh before shaking my head. I was doing this because I didn't think I would make it. I was sure I was going to die.

I bit my lip and started to set the table. It was only three o'clock, but they were coming over at six o'clock and if I didn't do this now, I'd completely forget to set it until they got here. I used a nice black table cloth and tan, woven vinyl table mats, placing the wine flutes on the left side of each mat. I made sure to place napkins beside every plate.

Trevor walked back into the kitchen and paused, watching as I organized the dinner table, and then started to prepare the Tiramisu. "Babe, it's just Michael and Franklin."

I smiled and looked up at him. "I know. I just. . .I want to do this." I tried to not seem so suspicious, flashing a smile at him and everything as I started whisking eggs. 

He frowned. "Why are you whisking so many eggs? And why do you have sugar? Are you making dessert, too?" 

"My uncle's famous tiramisu," I spoke with a grin. "We'd give this as peace offerings for rival businesses sometimes. I'd like to think it worked at least seventy percent of the time. I just haven't had it in so long, and-" I was reaching for the bag of sugar when Trevor cut me off.

"-And you want to have it before you die." He finished the sentence with my actual thought process instead of the phony lie I wanted him to believe. My hand dropped to my side as I let in a shaky breath, turning to look him in the eye, but I didn't want to look at them. I didn't want to see the heartbreak. I kept my line of vision just under his eyes. "This is all a last big bang, isn't it? A last big party before you die?" his voice was breaking now. "You have to act as if you're not going to die, Lucy."

"But what if I do?" I shouted, tears streaming down my face. "Trevor, I can't accept my death. No one can. No one's supposed to. But I can make these few days fun for me, just in case they're my last. Shouldn't I be allowed to?" I sniffled, wiping my face with the back side of my hand. 

He was quiet for a moment before lifting my chin with his hand so I looked at him in the eye now. His eyes held sadness, but also a tiny speck of joy. "We'll spend these days your way, so you'll be happy, and we'll continue living how you'd like after the surgery. Until we grow old together, and we become senile and do a shit load of drugs. I'd love to look into this face when its wrinkled and tell you I love you, and die next to you, but that time won't come for a long, long time Lucy." This was unlike him, but it was a side I appreciated seeing. I smiled as I stopped crying, my heart full with love. Love for this man. 

He ran his fingers through my hair, placing a kiss on my temple before he hesitated and bent down so he was on one knee, pulling a box from his dirty sweatpants' pocket, popping it open and revealing the biggest diamond ring I had ever seen in my life. "Lucy Reaper, will you marry me?"

My jaw dropped, I gasped and I nodded 'yes' so hard I felt like a bobble head that was about to fly right off. He smiled and slipped the ring on my finger. I looked at it with admiration before smiling up at him. "Trevor Philips, so unlike you." He got off of his knee and slipped his arms around my waist, grabbing onto his left wrist with his right hand, resting his hands on my butt before placing a sweet kiss on my awaiting lips. My eyes fluttered closed, enjoying this moment, kissing the man I knew I wanted to spend forever with, if fate would allow it.