o n e

AN || hey guys, thank you for choosing to read my story and I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. There will be grammar mistakes here and there and I am in the process of editing them so please bare with me. With that aside, let the story begin... 💜😘

[Hermione's POV]

For some reason Hermione was nervous as she boarded the Hogwarts Express for the last time. The war had ended and a lot had changed during the past couple of months. For starters Harry and Ron weren't going to be with her as they both were training to be aurors while she decided to come back to complete her seventh year, after all, education was important.

Hermione sat down opposite Ginny and Luna their compartment, "It's going to be very different isn't it?"

"Yeah I guess," Ginny said as she twirled her wand between her fingers, "But it's changing for the better isn't it?"

"Hope so. Who do you thinks going to get Head Girl this year?"

"You, obviously." Ginny laughed at Hermione's shocked expression, "Even if there are more seven year girls to choose from, Mcgonagall's still bound to choose you."

"I agree," Luna closed her edition of the Quibbler and put it down on her lap, "You would make quite an excellent choice."

"Thanks Luna." Hermione replied with a sheepish smile.

For the next hour or so the girls talked excitedly among themselves about the upcoming school year. By the time they've reached the Hogsmeade Station it was already pouring with rain, but it wasn't anything a simple water repelling charm couldn't handle. Hagrid's booming voice could be heard as he ushered the first year to the docks, ready to cross the Black Lake into Hogwarts. Hermione smiled upon the fond memory, from when she received her letter to when she was sorted into Gryffindor. But she was soon knocked out of her trance when someone bumped into her, knocking her books out of her hands. "Watch it!"

The stranger turned around and sneered at her, "You, watch - GRANGER?"

Of course, no other than Draco Malfoy. What was she expecting, "Malfoy." She regarded him coldly as she gathered up her stuff, "Would it hurt to watch where you're going?"

"Would it hurt to keep your frizz under control?" He smirked as he looked her up and down, "Honestly Granger, it's a mess up there."

"Why you - argh, you insufferable git!" She turned a deep shade of crimson as she pulled out her wand and rounded onto the boy whose face now resembled a scared ferret.

"Whoa whoa whoa, get that away from me, you filthy little -"

"What, mudblood? Honestly Malfoy, it's getting old."

"I - I wasn't going to say that. I was - never mind. Just stay away from me." He pushed her away and walked off.

"Was not, expecting that." Hermione shook her head and she muttered to no one in particular and ran to catch up with Ginny and the others.

[The Great Hall]

Hermione sat down next to Ginny at the Gryffindor table as the Sorting Ceremony started. The Great Hall had been returned to its former glory, the enchanted ceiling displaying a stunning view of a sky filled with stars. The first year students were staring to file down into a line as the old, battered sorting was placed on its stool.

The hall fell silent as Professor Mcgonagall cleared her voice, "Now, if I may have your attention. The start of a new school year will hopefully be the start of a new wizarding era wizards and witches will finally treat each other as equals. The feast will begin shortly after the Sorting Ceremony." She cleared her throat and began to read out the names, "Ackles, Dean."

The Sorting Hat pondered for a moment before shouting, "GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table burst into a loud applause as the first student was sorted into Gryffindor.

"Barns, Allison." The girl walked up to the stool and sat down, knuckles white as she gripped the edges like a lifeline.

"SLYTHERIN!" The hall fell silent. Not one person was clapping. This is ridiculous. Yeah Slytherin's always kinda had a bad reputation and with pretty much all the death eaters being from Slytherin didn't help either. But the poor girl, she shouldn't have to put up with this. That's it. Hermione slowly rose up and started to clap, the other students looked at her as if she was crazy but they still clapped along with her. Soon, the hall was bursting with applause for the girl whose face was crimson red. Mcgonagall shot her a  grateful smile as she continued to read out the rest of the names.

"That was really brave of you to do that for the girl." Ginny grinned.

"Thanks," Hermione said and she turned to face Ginny, "She didn't have anything to do with the war and besides it's over now so why are people still holding a grudge against Slytherin? It's ridiculous."

"Yeah well, Slytherins aren't exactly known to be the nicest of people." The redhead frowned, "And the war didn't exactly help with improving their reputation."

"But still..." Hermione chewed on the lip, she hated the idea that Slytherins who haven't done anything are being judged just because they've been put into that house. And to be judged by something you have no control - yeah like being muggleborn - was well in her experience thanks to a certain blonde. She let her eyes wonder while the first years were still being sorted and couldn't help looking over at the Slytherin girl who was talking happily with Mal - MALFOY?! Hermione had to blink her eyes several times to make sure she wasn't seeing things. This was Malfoy. Draco Malfoy, the arrogant, rude, filthy rich, ex-death eater and bully who was, apparently, have what seemed as a a very enjoyable conversation with a first year girl.

As impossible as it seemed, Hermione couldn't help but smile a little. Maybe some people have really changed for the better.

Hey guys!

I hope you enjoyed that first chapter! I don't know if it was too short or not (if it was, pls send me a comment ^^) It's not my first time writing a fanfic, but this time I kinda have plot planned for what I'm gonna do with the story and hopefully it'll be successful! It's currently the holidays so I'll have quite a lot of time to write and I'll try to update the story as often as I can (maybe every couple days, but no longer than a week).

I don't know how many people are going to be reading this story, or if anyone is going to be reading it, but to whoever is reading this right now, I hope you'll keep on reading my story and I hope you like it!

- F.B. xx