t w e n t y f i v e

[Draco's POV]

His head felt like it had just been through a pressing machine and he felt like his stomach had just decided to become a blender. Slowly, he opened his eyes, the edges still blurry and black dots floated before his eyes.

He looked around and a familiar scent drifted into his nostrils.

Peppermint.

He heaved himself up from what must've been the couch to find that he was in Hermione's apartment with a fluffy grey blanket wrapped around him. Hermione was sleeping on the armchair next to his, with a book propped faced down on her lap. She was wearing the same hoodie he had seen her in at Hogwarts with her hairs tied loosely back in a low bun on the back of her head and a few strands of hair had come loose from her bun, falling into her face. Draco hesitantly reached out and tucked them behind her ears.

He took the book from her lap and began to read to pass time. "Romeo and Juliet. A play by Shakespeare."

Who the hell's Shakespeare? Draco wondered, the name sounded familiar but he just couldn't place a finger on it. As he begun to read, he discovered that it was in an older form of English which made absolutely no sense whatsoever so he put the book down and grabbed a magazine from the coffee table to read instead.

Draco busied himself with an article on 'How to cook the perfect roast chicken' when Hermione woke up. "How long have you been awake for?" She asked, her voice still slightly raspy which Draco had to admit was pretty damn sexy.

"A while, not long though."

"That's good," she heaved herself off the armchair and walked into the kitchen grabbing a vial filled with a pearly, orange type of substance, "You were meant to drink this when you wake up."

She poured the stuff into a shot glass and handed it to Draco who made a face, "Bottom's up."

"I'm not drinking that." It smelt like egg yolks and orange peels with a finely chopped chilli, which wasn't exactly appetising.

"Yes, you are."

"I don't even know what it is!"

"It'll help you with your headache and possibly make sure that you don't get some sort of liver disease."

"What if it's poisonous?"

Hermione rollers her eyes and massaged her forehead, "If I wanted to poison you, I would've done already. Now, drink."

Draco pinched his nose and drank it all in one gulp. It was like drinking chilli-flavoured slime. The substance seemed to stick to his throat and the fumes it gave off stung his eyes.

"See, it wasn't so bad." Hermione shrugged and she took the shot glass from Draco.

"Ha, you try it." Draco mumbled under his breath but as horrible as it was, the headache was rapidly fading away. "Hey, how long have I been out?"

"Almost a whole day, I think."

"Shittttt,"

"Yeah, maybe next time, don't drink a whole bottle of champagne at once."

Hermione went back into the kitchen and got the both of them a glass of water and handed some chocolate to Draco. "Eat, you'll feel better."

Draco didn't dare refuse if it meant that he didn't have to drink that orangey stuff again.

"Do you remember anything from last night?" Hermione asked.

"No, not really. Did something happen?"

He swore that he saw her let out a breath of relief, "No. You don't have to worry about it."

"But does it concern me?"

"Maybe..."

"Hermione, tell me."

"I said don't worry about it."

"Please,"

"Draco, just don't, okay? Please?"

He wanted to know what was bothering her and it obviously involved him. "Okay."

She slowly nodded, "I'm gonna go take a shower. Just grab whatever you want, I'll be a few minutes."

Hermione walked back into her bedroom and he heard her shut the door behind her.

Something had happened and Draco knew it. It was probably something bad, something to do with him and probably something that was left unknown for his sake.

Draco continued to slowly sip from the glass of water while continuing to read Romeo and Juliet.

***

Draco knocked on his apartment door and entered when no one answered, "Astoria?"

There was no answer.

"Toria?" Maybe she's still at work. Draco shrugged to himself as he walked into their bedroom, hoping to get some decent sleep.

Then he saw it. Right there in the middle of their bed was Astoria's wedding ring. The one he had given to her, with a small tag tied to it that read It's for the best. Underneath it was a letter and divorced papers that have already been completed and approved.

"Toria..." Draco whispered and his thirst clenched on itself. Even if he didn't love Astoria anymore and she probably didn't return the love, he still missed her. She had always been there for him even in his worse days she helped him through.

Carefully, he lifted the letter from underneath the ring and begun to read it.

Dear Draco,

I wanted to tell you in person but then I figured that this was probably the best way to do it. I don't hate you, Draco. I really don't and I understand that you were drunk when you said that but it was still the truth, wasn't it. You and Hermione were made for each other, really. I was only temporary and I knew that and I'm sure you knew that too.

So, I thought that maybe it was best we go our separate ways, start a new life. My advice to you is to make things right between you and Hermione. She's a beautiful and intelligent brave woman, don't wait until it's too late.

Best of luck,
Astoria

By the time he had finished reading the letter, tears had already fallen. He hastily wiped away the tears and lifted the ring to eye level. It was made from pure silver with four small black diamonds decorating it. Inside, he had her name engraved in beautiful calligraphy, with a sigh, he put the ring down on his bedside table and stepped into the shower.

He took off his clothes and turned the warm water to full blast as steam stated to rise, fogging up the glass. And for while, he just stood there, underneath the stream of warm water, oblivious to what was going on around him.

Sorry that took so long to update, but I hope you guys liked it ^^

Ily guys

F.B.