t w e n t y t w o

[Draco's POV]

Draco and Astoria were at the dining table eating dinner together and Astoria had lit the same cinnamon burner at the table setting a very romantic atmosphere - well, as far as Draco was concerned.

"Hey, is this burner going to be on sale?" Draco asked as he cut a piece roast chicken into his mouth.

"What the burner? Maybe, I'm not really sure. It's hard to get the scent right."

"Probably with the fact that cinnamon's a hard scent to get right. I mean too much and then it burns your nostrils, but too little, sometimes it ends up being too sweet." Draco put another piece of chicken into his mouth and moaned appreciatively, "This chicken is so good! Oh, and by the way, please take your magazines out of the bathroom. I think it's too humid in there, it's making the whole bathroom smell like an old library."

Draco continued to eat, shoving pieces of chicken down his throat. But when he looked up, he saw that the girl that was just smiling minutes ago was quietly sobbing.

"Hey, hey what's wrong?"

"I knew it. I fucking knew it."

"Knew what? Hey, talk to me," Draco wiped the tears from his wife's eyes, "Please, tell me what's wrong."

"Cinnamon, old books, maybe you'll smell flowers from your mother's garden next." The girl's eyes were red with grief and disappointment. "Does that sound familiar to you?"

"Baby, what are you talking about?"

"Hermione told me. She told me that when you smelt Amortentia, you smelt cinnamon, old books, flowers from your mother's garden and rain on the quidditch pitch."

"Is that..."

"Yes. It's Amortentia. So's the one in the bathroom. I've had this feeling for while that you didn't love me, well not fully at least. That you still have feelings for someone else, for Hermione Granger."

"Hermione? Don't be silly. We're just friends."

"Not the way I see it. The way you still steal glances at each other when you think that the other person isn't looking, friends don't do that."

"Astoria - you know I love you."

"I know you do. But I also know that when you're with me, you're not as happy as you are with her."

Draco was defeated. Was it true that he was still in love with Hermione Granger? But he had a wife. He couldn't just leave her for Hermione. He didn't want to break Astoria's heart because he cared about her more than he cares about himself.

"What - what do you want me to do then?" Draco asked, baffled.

"Draco, I think we should get a divorce." Astoria whispered, barely audible.

[Hermione's POV]

Hermione heaved herself off the couch when she heard banging on her door. It was a Tuesday evening, the second day of work and yet again she was already exhausted. She had only gotten back less than an hour ago so no one can really blame her for feeling a bit irritated.

"Coming," She slurred, it sounded like she was still half asleep. The scent of cool peppermint filled her nostrils as she walked past the scented candle. The banging continued and it got even louder than before. Hermione rubbed her temples, that's it. "Draco Malfoy, if you keep trying to hammer my door down, I will hex you so hard you'll never be able to see the light of day again!"

The knocking stopped - finally.

The brunette swung the door open to find - of course - a blonde haired boy who was smiling sheepishly down at her, "Heh, h-how did you know it was me?"

"Because no one else that I know is rude enough to keep repetitively banging on a door like that." She stepped aside to let him in and yet again the scent of peppermint floated past her. "What are you doing here?"

"Well," he said, taking a neatly wrapped parcel from a small paper bag that she didn't notice he was was holding and handed it too her, beaming. "I came to give you a present."

Hermione admitted, she was genuinely taken back by the gesture but accepted the present nonetheless. "Wow, um, thank you. It's very nice of you."

Draco shrugged, "Open it,"

Hermione carefully unwrapped the present to find a small candle inside the box. She tilted her head down and smelt the candle, it was the best thing she had ever smelt before.

"Merlin, it smells amazing! Where did you get it?"

"It's a special collection of Astoria's, light it. It'll smell even nicer that way."

Hermione got out her wand and lit the candle, the sweet smell of peppermint filled the room as well as what she could've sworn smelt like freshly mowed grass. It was like the candle was made especially for her.

"Do you like it?"

"I-I love it, thank you."

"What does it smell like? Like to you I mean,"

Shouldn't it smell the same to you as well?

"Well, it smells like peppermint, a bit different from the one that I have but this is one is just - I don't know - perfect. And - don't call me crazy - but it smells kind of like freshly mowed grass and parchment."

The scent was so familiar to her, yet she couldn't place it. It was a scent that brought back some of her best memories.

Hermione looked up to find Draco sitting next to her, her caramel brown eyes reflected from his solver orbs. Hermione felt blood rushed to her face and turned away to hide the blush. He put his hand on her chin and tilted her face back so she was facing him once more.

"Do you know what this means?" He asked, it was like her world could come together or fall apart right this instance. "The candle - well it was actually Astoria's idea - but the candle is Amortentia."

"But that's not possible - is it?"

"Yes it is, Hermione. I don't know why we even left each other when we were both happier together."

"Draco, do I need to remind you that you have a wife."

"We're thinking of getting a divorce,"

"Really?" Hermione, you can't just say stuff like that! "I mean, that's horrible, why?"

"She knew that I still had feelings for someone else - that I still had feelings for you."

Part of her wanted to jump up and kiss him right there. But another part of her told her that it wasn't right and she knew that.

"Draco, I can't. You and Astoria were happy together, I can't and I'm not, ruining that."

"You're right, we were happy. But I wasn't as happy as I was when I was with you and she knows that. It was actually Astoria who wanted to get a divorce. She figured that it'd be better for the both of us."

Hermione was paralysed. Paralysed with excitement, fear or whatever else. But she couldn't find the words to speak.

"Please, we can make this work." He leaned in, their eyes meeting for a split second before his lips were on hers once more.

As Hermione leant into the kiss and she felt a spark start up inside her again. A spark that had been dormant for years. It was perfect, hell it was better than any kissed they've ever had. She took a deep breath in and inhaled his peppermint cologne, the same one he wore when they were still at Hogwarts.

Slowly they pulled apart and Hermione flung her arms around Draco's neck, "I love you," she whispered into his neck.

She swore the she felt Draco smiled against her neck, "I know, Granger. It's been too long,"

"Yeah it has,"

Yay they're back together!