t w o

[Hermione's POV]

After the amazing feast had filled everyone up and ready for the new school year, the students started to file back to their common rooms lead by the new prefects.

"Blimey, I am stuffed." Ginny said as she pat her stomach, "Bet Ron's missing the feast,"

Hermione laughed as she was reminded by how much Ron loved food, "Yeah, bet the Ministry doesn't have food as good as this." What was going on between her and Ron, she didn't know. They hadn't really talked about the kiss after the battle had ended. Was it just 'the heat of the moment' thing? Or was it something much more? Hermione shook her head to clear her thoughts, it just gave her a headache to even think about it. She followed the others in past the Fat Lady and made her way up to the dormitories and collapsed onto her bed.

"Mind if I use the shower first?"

"No, no." The redheaded girl shot her a smile and disappeared into the bathroom. She stood and started to arrange her books for the next day when there was a tapping on the window. "What the-"  it was a brown owl, probably one from the school's owlery. She opened the window to let the bird in. Who would send a letter at this time of the night? She untied the letter from the owl and gave it a scratch as the owl flew off into the ever darkening night.

Dear Miss Granger,

It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been chosen as Head Girl. I do apologise for the lateness of this letter but it would be lovely if you would meet the Head Boy and I in my office tonight.

The password to my office is 'phoenix'.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva Mcgonagall

Hermione gaped at the letter in awe. She had been chosen as Head Girl. Head Girl. She held in the tempting urge to scream with delight, she clutched the letter to her chest and jumped up and down like a five year old who had just gotten a new toy. I'm Head Girl! I'm actually Head Girl! She decided that she should probably tell Harry and Ron in the morning seeing as they're probably tired from training. "Hermione, what is the name of Merlin's beard are you doing?"

She had completely forgotten that she was still clutching the letter, she could barely breathe out the words as she said, "Mcgonagall's chosen me as Head Girl."

"YESSSSSS!" The other girl screamed out.

"Will you keep it down," Hermione furrowed her brows, "You'll wake up the whole castle!"

"I. Told. You. So." She grinned, "I'm gonna tell Ron, owes me five galleons."

"You guys made a bet?!"

"I said that it was gonna be you," she shrugged, "But Ron said that you were too stubborn to be chosen Head Girl."

"Too stubborn?!" Hermione looked at Ginny with an outrage expression, "How am I too stubborn?"

"Mione, you kind of are." she chuckled as she picked up the fallen letter, "Hey, doesn't it say that you have to go meet her now..."

"Shoot!" Hermione grabbed her hand and shoved it roughly into her pocket, "Gotta go." After the war, it became a habit for her to have her wand with her everywhere she went. Some might say that she was paranoid about how there might be something dangerous around every corner but you never really know, do you?