e i g h t

[Draco's POV]

The weeks passed quickly and it was soon Christmas break. He and Granger had gotten friendlier towards each other and now were somewhat able to fulfil their duties as Head Boy and Head Girl successfully. Draco wasn't as excited for the Christmas break as he should be, considering the fact that his father was sent to Azkaban and he too was almost sent there. But it was better than when the Dark Lord was still in power, when he would dread going back to his very own home. His family had changed a lot, well his mother and him did. Even if it took a while, he was starting to be able to see past the blood prejudice.

"Hey Granger," he said to her as they did their last report for the semester. "Are you busy this Christmas holidays?"

She looked up, Merlin he loved her freckles, he loved the way they lined up almost like constellations, "No, why?"

He rubbed his neck nervously, "My mother wants to meet the Head Girl,"

She almost spat out her tea. "Your mother wants to meet me?" he nodded,"So you're inviting me over to your house?"

"Yes,"

"And how do I know that you're not just trying to prank me again?"

"I'm not!" Although it made sense for her to question him, since he kept playing pranks on her while they were working together, he couldn't help but laugh. "Trust me Granger, no pranks. Promise."

"Sure sure Malfoy,"

"Granger, I'm serious. My mother actually wants to meet you."

She furrowed her brows, "Could we meet somewhere else then? I mean, your house doesn't exactly bring back the cheeriest of memories." She looked down, unable to meet his eyes. He could still remember the time when his aunt was the reason behind why her screams echoed off the walls of his house. And he still remembered the feeling of helplessness. Sure, even then he and Granger still didn't get along, but that didn't mean that he wanted to see her tortured. But he just stood there, unable to do a single thing in fear of being killed. Watching his classmate being tortured, watching his aunt carve the word mudblood into her skin.

"I'm sorry, I should've done something about you know, that time."

She let out a shaky laugh, "It wasn't your fault and besides if you hadn't lied about Harry being Harry, we'd be dead by now."

"But can you come over though?"

"Maybe," she said as she gathered up their reports, ready to send them to Mcgonagall, "I'm staying over at the Weasley's for most of the holidays,"

"It'll be just one day,"

"Mmm, okay." she said finally giving into his offer.

[The next day]

Draco wrapped his Slytherin scarf around his next as he got ready to head out with Blaise to go Christmas shopping. "Blaise hurry up! Christmas isn't gonna wait for you!"

The two boys walked out of the gated to face the cold of winter. Draco planned on getting Blaise a broom servicing kit and Nott a new owl since his old one just passed away. He might, emphasis on might, be getting Weaslette a broom since she was still riding that rusty old Cleansweep, and he hated to admit, but she was one of the best quidditch players he had ever seen and she deserved a better broom. But Granger, bloody hell, he couldn't think of what to get that woman. She already had more than enough books to read, she sure as hell wasn't interested in Quidditch supplies maybe she'd like some jewellery? But then again, who said jewellery was easy to pick.

"Mate, I'll meet you back here in say, two hours maybe?" Blaise asked.

"Yeah sure, but what in the world am I going to get Granger?"

Blaise scoffed and gave him a knowing smile, "Oh I don't know, maybe your confession on how you've been in love with her since the day she slapped you?"

"I do not -"

"I mean, that'd be a pretty good Christmas present,"

"Zabini..." Draco said warningly, "I'm serious! I don't know what to get her!"

"Books then," Draco shook his head, "Um, school supplies?"

"Really? School supplies?" Blaise shrugged, "Look, I'll just meet you back here in two hours or so." The blonde haired boy sighed and headed over to Quality Quidditch Supplies. He picked a broom servicing kit and a handbook for Blaise and went over to look at the latest brooms. Consider yourself lucky Weaslette, I can't believe i'm doing this. He picked out a Comet 480 and headed over to the counter to pay for his items.

Now, with his gifts nicely wrapped he headed over to the jewellery store that his mother often went to. Necklaces, bracelets and earring filled the glass cases, each one a different kind of gem stone. He wanted a necklace with something blue on it. Ever since Granger had worn that blue dress to the Yule Ball he fell in love with the colour blue. Not that he had a crush on her or anything. Heavens no. Totally not. Draco Malfoy definitely did not have a crush on Hermione Granger.

//AN: I've seen quite a lot of comments saying that her dress was pink. Just to make things clear, the dress was pink in the movies but I'm basing it off the books where she was wearing a blue dress.//

He looked at different necklaces, trying to find that exact gemstone that will bring out her eyes in the way that he loved to get lost in them.

"Can I help you dear?" The shopkeeper probably noticed that he'd been wandering around for quite some time. It was the same lady that had sold jewellery to his mother all those years back. Please don't recognise me. Please don't recognise me. Draco chanted over and over in his head, hoping it'll work like some kind of spell.

"Yes actually, do you have a necklace with a blue gemstone in it?" he paused, "Not just any kind of blue, but like a deep ocean blue maybe mixed with the colour of the midnight sky on a full moon's night." The lady scratched her chin and beckoned him over to the counter.

"Well, I have to say, I haven't had a customer this fussy in years!" she chuckled upon Draco's embarrassment, "But I think I have just what you are looking for."

She pulled out a box from under the counter and inside it was the most beautiful necklace he had ever seen. The silver and rose gold chain rippled as the lady lifted it out of the box and the gemstone. Merlin. It was exactly like how he had described it to her, it wasn't too big or too small but the right size to fit the length of the chain. "Ocean Sapphire, very rare. This one was made maybe a century and a half ago?"

"Thank you, that is - it's perfect. And could you wrap it for me?" the lady nodded and started to wrap the present and as she was wrapping she kept studying Draco, "There you are, now shall I just charge it on your vault?"

"Yes, that's be great. It's the Mal-"

"Malfoy's am I right?" Draco nodded nervously, his attempt at the repetitive chanting had failed him but the lady only smiled, "I have to say, you have grown into a handsome young man since I last saw you! By the way how's your mother doing? I heard about your father and I'm very sorry about that."

Draco shrugged. "She's coping, but none of us could do anything about it."

"Tell your mother she's welcomed anytime, it's been a while since she's been here." Draco smiled and walked out of the shop. It had been just over two hours and he apparated back to meet Blaise.

Hey guys!

So I've just got back with a horrible sunburn. But anyways, I hope that this chapter was alright and I'm really excited to write the next chapter when they open their christmas presents yay! And we'll be seeing how well Ron respond to Ginny's letter :)

~ F.B. xx