Getting A Handle On Things

Rayne's POV

The New York traffic was adding to the annoying fact, that just down the block, there was a woman claiming her child was my husband's. I let out an annoyed sigh, my eyes peering out the window at various shops and stands on the street.

"Come on!!! Get out the way!" Wayne yells, honking at a pedestrian running in front of the car at the last second. The guy hits the hood of the truck before flicking his middle finger at Wayne and yells an obscene word. Wayne sighs, "good to be home.." he rolls his eyes.

"How much longer do you think we'll be?" Michael asked.

"Judging by the traffic...another 30 minutes."

Michael groans, acknowledging he'll be late for his studio session.

"It's ok daddy.. they can't start without you." Camille enthuses, causing him to grin.

"I know, but I never want to waste anyone's time." Michael explains.

We end up making it to the studio a little under 10 minutes later than scheduled as Michael rushed in, his jacket hanging off his shoulders.

"I'm so sorry I'm late, traffic was terrible. I'm ready when you are." He says to the producer.

Camille and Mikey sat on the floor with their books and toys as I looked on, watching Michael in his own element. I liked watching him work, it reminded me of a reason why we were together. His focus to get something done, his drive, and determination let me know I was something he wouldn't give up on easily and it made me feel safe.

In the midst of watching him, Michael's cell rang. Without second thought, I answered to a voice I was less than pleased to hear from.

"Hello Rayne. Good to hear you're better. Is Michael available?" She says with a smooth voice. I roll my eyes not to cause a scene and simply call Michael's name, holding the phone over my head.

On the outside looking in, you'd think Mike and I have it all together. I would think we've mastered that look since we've been in the public eye as a couple for almost 15 years. But it felt like we were falling apart. There was currently a woman between us, holding me back from showing affection to my husband and I was honestly devastated.

Was this what would be to come? She'd be calling during times we spent together as a family? I didn't want to imagine that, but that's where I would go when I thought of her. I couldn't see myself making it through this marriage with her snagged on.

***

After the studio session, I was due to meet her. Leon would watch over the kids while Michael and I went inside with Wayne. "Are you sure you wanna do this?" Michael asked with concern coating his voice.

"Michael.." I respond.

"I'm just saying, we don't know if this kid is mine yet. We only know what she's told us.. I don't want you to get all worked up over nothing."

I ignore him and follow Wayne to the door, tapping my knuckles softly on the wood. She opens the door with a grin followed by a sigh, telling me she was expecting my husband to come alone.

"Rayne, what a surprise." She smiles falsely. "Hello Michael.. please come in."

I watch her eyes follow my husband's every move. "So how am I so lucky to gain a visit from Mrs. Rayne Jackson?" She says sitting on the chair opposite us.

I cross my leg over, placing my palm on my knee. "I just wanted to meet the woman I ended up sharing my husband with. You truly believe that your son is his?"