Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner

My tired eye lids opened slowly. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, Mr. Kloppman. He took care of us guys in the Manhattan newsies lodging house. 

"Boots!" He yelled. My head rose, surprised at the loud noise he made. "Skittery, Skittery, Skittery!"

"I didn't do it!" Skittery yells, waking up from his dreams.

"What do ya mean you didn't do it? Get up, get up!" Mr. Kloppman said. He continued to call out our names until he saw that we were up and getting ready.

"Alright, carry the banner! Sell the papers! Sell the papers!" He left the room.

I rubbed my eyes, and stretched my arms. I found my brothers feet right in the middle of my feet. 

"Jack!" I screamed, throwing his legs off the side of our top bunk bed we shared together. 

He immediately got up startled. He was a pretty heavy sleeper and did not get up to the sound of Mr. Kloppman. 

"Finn! What in the name of the-" 

"Shut it, and get up. Wes gotta sell the papes." I said, interrupting the rest of his sentence. I knew what he was going to say anyway. 

"Hey! That's my cigar!" I heard Racetrack say. 

"You'll steal anotha!" Snipeshooter said back. 

Kid Blink then piped in, "hey bummas, we's got work to do." 

"Since when did you become me mudda?" Specs chimed.

Crutchy then stepped in between them, "Awh stop your bawlin!"

We all screamed, "Who ast you!" 

I got up out of Jack and I's bed and pulled on my suspenders. I slept in the same clothes I worked in because I was in a room full of boys and was not going to strip in front of them. 

Race came over the me and put his arm around my shoulder. "Well, hiya Finn! Be sure to get that whole lot of hair of yours tucked into your cap today!" Every day he teased me about putting my hair up. I knew I had too or I would be sent to a girl orphanage. It was the first thing I did every morning. 

"Oh shut it Race!" I said, throwing his arm off my shoulder. "Yous just jealous you don't have long flowing hair just like mine!" I took my hands and flung my hair back. I laughed and so did he. 

Mush then came over and started talking to my brother, "How'd ya sleep Jack?"

"On me back Mush." Jack answered back. 

"You hear that? Yous hear what he said? I ast how'd he sleep and he said on me back Mush!" 

Crutchy then stepped in and said, "This look like I'm fakin it?"

"Who says your fakin it?" I asked. 

"Theres so many fake crips these days, a real crip ain't gotta chance! I gotta find me a new sellin spot, where they ain't used to seein me." 

"Try bottle alley or the harbor."

"Try central park it's guaranteed."

"Try any bank, bum, or barber."

"Theys almost all knows how to read!"

We then all raced down the steps. Poor Mr. Kloppman tried to get a head count of all of us, but I'm sure failed. We spirited outside.

"It's a fine life, carrying the banner tough n' tall! Every morning, we's go where we wishes, we's as free as fishes, sure beats washing dishes! What a fine life, carrying the banner home free all!"

"If I hate the headline, I'll make up a headline, and I'll say anything I hafta! 'Cause at two for a penny, if I take too many, Weasel just makes me eat em afta!"

"We need a good assassination! We needs an earthquake or a war!"

"How bout a crooked politician?" Snipeshooter called out.

"Hey stupid, that ain't news no more!" We all began singing again. "Uptown to grand central station, down to city hall! We's improves our circulation walkin till we fall!" 

"So we'll be out there, carrying the banner! Oh we'll be out there soakin every sucka that we can! See the headline! Newsies on a mission, kill the competition, sell the next addition, while we're out there, carrying the banner!"

___________

I know, I know, the song isn't completely in order, but I didn't want to put the entire song in because it's kinda long, but these are some parts:) Sorry bout that!