Chapter 16: Our Man Denton

"Awrise, awrise, court is now in session."

A few of us newsies that the bulls caught at the end of the rally stood in front of a judge. It was mostly Manhattan and Brooklyn newsies. I was worried, not about me, but about Jack. I didn't see him anywhere in the court room. I kept popping my head up to look around, but ended up with nothing each time. 

"Are any of you represented by council?" The judge asked. 

"What's a counsil?" I heard Race say.

"No?" He said. "Good, good, that'll move things along considerably."

Spot then spoke up. "Hey, your honor I object."

"On what grounds?" The judge asked harshly.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn your honor." Spot said.

We all began to laugh at Spot's joke, and Race's face. Spot turned and smiled at me. I gave him a grin. He was just trying to lighten the mood.

The judge looked at us seriously. "I fine each of you $5, or 2 weeks confinement in the house of refuge."

Race looked around at us. "Woah, woah, we don't got 5 bucks, we don't even got 5 cents."

"Move along, move along." The judge pushed us out of his way. He didn't care that we were a bunch of broke kids looking to do the right thing. Just then, Denton walked in.

"I'll pay the fines." He said. He was such a good man, what would we do without him. "All of them."

David walked in behind him. It was good to see Davey.

"Hey fellas, where's Jack?" David asked. He looked over at me. I frowned and shrugged my shoulders. 

"We have to meet at the restaurant." Denton told us all. "Everybody, we have to talk."

The judge pounded his paddle on his podium. "Pay the clerk, move it along."

Just then, Jack walked in the room with his hands behind his back in handcuffs. He was okay. I sign of relief came to me, but we still had to see what his sentence was.

"Hey fellas." Jack shouted to us.

"Nice shinna." Race yelled back to him. He laughed. 

"Denton, I guess we made all the papes this time, huh? How'd my picture look?" Jack said.

"None of the papers covered the rally." Denton said. "Not even the sun." 

Jack looked disappointed, and hurt. I knew how much this meant to him. He found me in the crowd. We looked at each other for a few seconds, until the police officer led him in front of the judge.

"Case of Jack Kelly, inciting to riot, assault, resisting arrest." A man said. 

"Judge Monahan, I'll speak for this young man." It was Snyder. Why does this guy have to be everywhere we go? I hated him. I gave him a nasty stare, because I knew what ever he had to say was not going to be good.

"Well you two know each otha, ain't that nice." Jack said coldly. He stood in front of the judge, facing Mr. Snyder.

Snyder spoke up. "This boy's real name is Francis Sullivan. Mother deceased, father a convict in the state penitentiary."

Jack looked over at us. David looked hurt, Jack did lie to him, but for his own benefit. I caught his eyes again, and he just looked at me and kept my gaze.

"He is currently an escapee from the House of Refuge, where his original sentence of three months for theft was extended six months for disruptive behavior."