Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?

Looks like Weasel wasn't coming back, because we had a new guy to torment at the window. So far he didn't give us any trouble. He kept to himself and just handed us the papes. Some boys tried to get him to give in, but he just looked at them and ignored it. I sort of forgot it was the new guy at the window when I went up to get my papers.

"The usge." I said, tapping my coin on the wood counter.

The new guy looked up at me. "And, that would be?"

I looked at him confused for a second, then realized it wasn't Mr. Wiesel.

"Sorry," I said. "The olda guy has been 'ere for longa than I can rememba. 100 papes."

He handed them to me. I took them and sat down next to Jack and Kid on the steps.

"We's made the paper today folks." Jack fanned out a newpaper.

WORKING KIDS BEAT OUT THE BIG BOYS IN TOWN, the headline said. I liked it. I just skimmed the article and skipped over to the picture of the crowd. There were so many of us packed into the main square. The picture made me smile. I cannot believe we accomplished all of this yesterday. Now us newsies were in the papes twice in a week, that was pretty good for penniless orphans.

"Awll right boys," I said. "let's get a move on."

We stood up and the newsies went to work. I stuck close to Jack, not right next to him, but close enough to see him.

"Extra, extra! Pulitzer beat by kids!" A few guys handed me pennies. "Thank ya sirs."

I gave them a pape in return. I walked over to Jack.

"I's gonna head out some where else to sell." I yelled over all the noise.

He gave me a thumbs up, then turned back to his business. I walked the streets of Manhattan, selling papes to those who passed by me. As of yesterday, Pultizer bought back all the papers we did not sell at the end of the day, so I was in no rush to sell all of mine. I then saw a familiar face walking in front of stores.

"Zip?" I said.

He turned his head towards me and smiled. "Heya Miss Kelly!"

I smiled. "Whatta ya doin' here in 'hattan?"

Zip shrugged his shoulders. "Guess Spot was feelin' good from the win yestaday, that he gave me the mornin' off!" He chuckled. "Figure that. So, I's figure I'd come to Manhattan, visit a few friends. I've also neva really enjoyed meself here."

"That's nice." I said. "Hey, when you's get back, do ya think you's could ask Spot to meet me at the pier here in 'hattan? I'm always in Brooklyn, figure we's could change it up a bit."

"Sure thing Miss Kelly." Zip said.

"See ya 'round Zip!" I said. 

He waved to me a we went our separate ways. I started to head over in the direction towards the pier. I could get there early. I didn't know when Zip was going to head back to Brookly, but Spot would probably be on his way soon. I suddenly got the oddest feeling that I was being watched. I looked all around and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I shrugged my shoulder and went on walking. I had about 20 papes left in my hands. Once Spot got here, I would bring them back. I didn't want to leave the pier now. 

I saw the bench there, planted in the ground. Spot and I felt so relaxed and in a totally different universe when we watched the sunset from that bench. I smiled thinking of the memory. I didn't see Spot yet, so I continued to walk the streets. I put the papes under my arm and put my hands in my pockets. I kicked at some rocks on the ground to keep myself busy as I strolled along.