Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan

To make money, I sold papes here in Brooklyn, but still undercover as a boy. I woke up next to find Spot looking at me. I ran my hands through my hair to untangle it.

I smirked at him. "What?"

"Nothin'," Spot leaned over and gave me a quick kiss. "Yous jus so beautiful."

I blushed. Spot pushed the sheets off of him and got ready to sell. I took a minute to get up. I was still mourning over Skittery's death, and very upset I couldn't be with the Manhattan newsies at this time.

"Come on Finn, yous gonna be late." Spot motioned to me.

I sighed. "Is know, Is know..." I sat up and yawned. Spot walked over to me and kissed my head.

"Meet ya outside. Don't be too late." He pointed at me and I smiled.

"No promises." I chuckled. I was never late, in fact, I was always the one who was extra early. I guess everything that happened has just been slowing me down. There's only so much I can take.

Within 5 minutes, I was at the window to get my papes. Spot was standing there talking to McGee. After getting my newspapers, I walked up to them and Spot put his arm around my shoulder. 

"Hey, ya made it!" He teased.

I scoffed. "Oh please, I's on time."

Spot smiled at me. I looked away, trying not to blush again. Then, he looked at me and then McGee.

"Hey, I knows you ain't  gonna like dis, but I's decided for McGee to sell wit cha today." Spot said.

I looked at him. "Why?"

"Finn, come on. Yous know what happened, the murderers are now goin' afta people in broad day light and-"

"I's don't need a babysitta, I's can take care of myself." I protested. I looked at the both of them. "Trust me Spot, I's know what goin' on. I's careful, I's don't need someone followin' me around all day."

"I know, but I's jus tryin' to protect ya Finn." Spot took off his cap and ran his hands through his hair. "Yous gotta know that, I's know yous okay and I trusts yous, but I's don't trust everyone else in dis city."

I gave him a look like 'this is not fun.' He just shook it off and gave me a hug. I tried to push him off, but he was too strong. 

"Get off." I said.

"Awlright, awlright." Spot put his hands into the air. "I's gonna head out. Yous, take care of her." He pointed at McGee.

"Don't cha worry Spot." McGee told him and Spot turned and went in the other direction.

McGee then turned to me. "Awlright Finn, let's get goin'."

We started to walk. "Yous don't need to follow me around all day."

I just then realized that I wanted to go visit Sarah today. Shoot, I had to find some way to shake McGee off for a few hours. I planned on waiting a little bit, until I sold a few papes and I wouldn't complain until then. 

"So, I's got half me pile gone, I like dis spot." I told McGee.

"Yeah? Well, don't gets too comfortable, dis is my sellin' spot." He grabbed the ends of his vest and pulled them forward, showing off.

I smirked, handing a pape to a woman. "Thanks ya ma'am."

McGee sold his a few teenagers, rich one obviously. Their hand made suits and freshly shinned shoes gave it away. They looked about my age and caught a glance at us. I smiled at them, and they laughed and turned in the other direction. I guess their too special to interact with anyone but the rich.