Chapter 30: Murderers in New York

"Wow, this headline sucks." Race opened up a pape and read it to himself.

"Yeah, but, headlines don't sell papes, newsies sell papes Race!" I teased.

"Oh shut it." Race scoffed as he lit a cigar. I chuckled. I grabbed my usual number and threw them over my shoulder. I walked over and sat next to Race on the steps. Jack then walked past and stood a few feet in front of us.

"He still mad atcha from last night?" Race asked.

I scoffed, "Yeah, it's stupid really, I's only came home 30 minutes late, untouched and unharmed."

"He just cared about ya Finn, he's bein' ovaprotective." Race said.

"Well, he's got ta stop, I's old enough." Race just rolled his eyes and continued to read the front page.

"Aye, checks out page 3 guys." Kid said, walking over to us.

Race flipped to the page and I leaned over to look at him. It read, DANGEROUS MEN ON THE LOOSE IN NEW YORK CITY. We all looked at each other in confusion. Race began to read the article out loud.

"Afta the night of July 15th, 1899, three suspects have been killed when potential murder pair on da loose here in New York City. The living suspects describe dis group of two as male, caucasian, and in late twenties. Weapons used to kill are knifes and being beatin' to death, no gun wound so far. Crime scenes were at night. We's will keep ya updated on more information once we get it."

We all looked at each other. Murderers in New York? Jack was listening to Race and came closer.

"Murderers? Here?" He said.

Kid shook his head, "Come on, how hard could it be to catch two guys. They's made their mark in New York."

"Why isn't this on the front page?" Mush asked. 

"There isn't enough information," Davey told us. "And plus they don't want to scare people, yet. Once they get more news, then they'll put it on the front page."

I started to talk. "But, the onlys way to get more information is-"

"Is for more killin's to happen." Jack rubbed his neck. "Awlright guys, yous have yous papes. Go out and get those sold, once done, head straight for the lodgin' house. Yous should not be out when the sun starts to set."

We all nodded in agreement. We all wanted to be safe, and it's better to be safe, than sorry.

Us newsies all walked out of the gates and into the streets. I began to head over to the main square.

"Yous stayin' wit me today." I heard Jack say. He ran to catch up to me.

I rolled my eyes. "No ones goin' to be murdered in daylight Jack, I's fine."

"I's don't trust people." Jack said.

We walked the rest of the time in silence, selling to those who past us. Jack took the north side of the main square and I took the South. We could still see each other in sight, but I was a good 500 feet away. I sold half of my papes in 1 hour. I guess the headline MURDERER caught the attention of many people. It was the easiest headline, so I used that all day. Two hours later, around 10, I was getting through most of my newspapers. This was going to be a very quick day for us newsies.

"Yous sell quick!"

I turned around and saw Spot standing behind me. I grinned.

"Oh don't look so surprised," I said. "A goil can sell jus as well as a boy." 

I walked closer to him. He pulled me in and gave me a kiss. We smiled.

"Whys you ova here?" I asked.