Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders

McGee and I began to walk back to Brooklyn. We then were passing Sarah, David, and Les's apartment building. I then remembered Duke asking about Lillian, and I was going to tell Sarah about it. 

"Wait, wait," I said and stopped in my tracks.

McGee sighed and stopped slowly. "What's it now?"

"Can I's jus see a friend quickly?" I asked sweetly. 

McGee rolled his eyes.

"Please McGee, it'll only be a minute, don't worry." I told him.

He waved me away, indicating I could run up to the building. It was around lunch time, and I was hoping Sarah came home from work today to eat. I ran up the stairs to the 3rd floor and knocked on their door. 

Mrs. Jacobs answered the door. "Ah! Finley! Nice to see you!" She came out and gave me a hug.

"It's nice to see ya too Mrs. Jacobs!" I said. 

"Come in, come in." She indicated. I stepped inside their cozy home. "What can I help you with dear?"

"Is Sarah home today?" I asked. 

"She is in fact, just in the bathroom washing up for lunch. Why don't you stay to eat?" Mrs. Jacobs said. 

I shook my head. "I's wish I could, but I's on a tight schedule. Jus was here in 'hattan and wanted to talk to Sarah."

"Still living in Brooklyn I see." Mrs. Jacobs went over to the sink and began scrubbing the dishes. 

"Yeah, I means, I know Jack's keepin' me safe there. It's become so dangerous." I told her.

She shook her head in disappointment. "These murderers are just terrible, terrible! Why go after poor, innocent children. Its such a shame."

Sarah then walked out of the bathroom and saw me. "Finn!" She ran over to me and gave me a hug. I smiled and hugged her back. 

"What are you doing here?" Sarah asked. 

We each released each other and I faced her. "I's was in da neighborhood and jus wanted to talk to ya quickly." 

"I'll leave you two alone for a few minutes." Mrs. Jacobs excused herself from the room.

Sarah and I sat down at the table they had set up for lunch. 

"So, what brings you to Manhattan?" Sarah asked. 

"Well, I's was here to see da boys, I's had to afta, Skittery..." I looked down, not wanting to talk about it because I knew I would cry again.

Sarah reached over and grabbed my hand. "I'm so sorry about Skittery, Finn." 

I took a deep breath and continued talking. "Well, do yous know a guy named Duke from Brooklyn?" 

"Name sounds familiar." Sarah said. 

"I's was talkin' to him yesterday, and he's said he really likes Lillian!"

"No way!" Sarah squealed. "Yay Lillian! But, wait, I don't know this guy."

I chuckled. "Well, I's do, and he's super nice, and caring, and I's wouldn't have tried to set it up if he ain't a good guy. Trust me Sarah, theys would be a great couple."

Sarah smiled. "Okay, yes, then let's set something up for them!" 

"Perfect!" I stood up from the chair. "I's sorry to have to rush, but I's really gotta go, Spot's gonna be mad that I's disappeared for dis long, but, wills ya be able to make it too Brooklyn one of these days?"