Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha

I broke away from the crowd. I grinned at everyone I passed. The all cheered and chanted. I stood by the gates. My hand reached out to hold onto one of the rails and I leaned against it watching everyone in the streets. This was a happy day for everyone. I then felt someone come up behind me and wrap their arms around my waist. I smiled and laughed.

"Whatta think of tis?" Spot asked.

I looked at him. "I love it."

He then let go, we still haven't told Jack, so we had to be careful. I know my brother and I know he won't approve of us. He doesn't think Spot is a nice guy fore say. He thinks Spot just plays tricks and does not care for anyone else but himself.

"Looks like I's gotta get my papes now." I told him, letting my grip go from the gate. I stepped down and started to walk away.

"Hey," Spot said. I turned back around. "Wills you come lata tonight?"

I just looked into his eyes, the eyes that I first fell in love with. "I's will try."

He smiled and let go of my hand. I walked over to the window to get the paper. Race was over there and I saw him looking at me. 

"What?" I asked, getting closer.

"Nothin'," He said. He smirked. "So, uh, you's a Spot are gettin' pretty serious, eh?"

I looked around to make sure no one was next to us. "We's gettin' there."

Race smiled. I rolled my eyes. 

"Oh come on, tell meh." He said.

"Awright, awright." I put my hands up. "We's are."

"I's knew it!" Race said. We both laughed.

"You's knew what?" Jack came over, smiling at us.

Oh god, that was close.

"Oh nothin'." I told him, slapping his shoulder.

"Nah I's wanna know now!" Jack said laughing. "Come on."

I looked at Race. I wasn't sure what to say.

"Uh, Finn wants to start comin' to the races wit me now! She jus said that she thought it would be fun." Race said. 

"Oh, okay." Jack chuckled. "But, no gamblin'." 

I threw my hands up, "Fine, fine." 

Jack gave me a quick hug and went to go get his papes. I mouthed the words, 'thank you', to Race, then whispered, "I owe you one."

"I's know." He shrugged his shoulders. I shoved him to the side.

"50 papes." I told the man.

He handed me the newspapers. 

"That's it?" Mush asked.

"I's tired, and plus, we's wasted half the day awlready." I pointed up at the sky. The sun shone in the middle of the blue sky.

I walked down the steps and saw Jack talking to Spot.

"Thanks again man." Jack said. They spit shake hands and I come up next to Jack.

"Honestly Spot, I's was not sure if you's were comin' today." Jack told him.

"Well, yours sista 'ere is pretty good at persuadin' people." Spot nodded at me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "What can ya say?" I chuckled and so did they.

"Well any way, good job Manhattan newsies, I'll be seein' ya soon Jacky boy." Spot pointed at Jack and turned around to walk back to Brooklyn.