Chapter 4: Darkness

I have my hair back in my cap and my hand in my pockets. I kick some small rocks at my feet. I take my time getting back to the lodging house. There was no one on the streets.Everyone was already inside their comfy houses eating dinner. Where I, will be waiting to eat until tomorrow mornings breakfast from the nuns. I like having the time to myself, I don't get much of it living with thirty boys in one room. 

I then hear a noise to the right of me in an alley way. I squint my eyes to try and see what's going on in the pitch black darkness, when all of a sudden, two huge boys come running out, almost knocking me over. They were big and obviously strong, but they looked like they were running from something. 

"Hey! Watch where you's going!" I say, as one of them bumps my shoulder. 

They say nothing and continue on in the direction of Queens. I brush off my shoulder. Boys, I sigh. I then see another figure come out from the alleyway. It was another boy, not as big as the two that just ran by. He was a few inches taller than me, but looked strong as well. He held a cane in his right hand and swung it onto his shoulder. 

"Heya, boy, whatta you doin' walking around these parts at this late hour? Helpless boys like you don't last very long..." He said to me.

"Excuse me?" I said. "I ain't helpless." 

"Sure, sure." He grabbed my arm and squeezed it, showing I no muscles that compared to his.

I slapped his hand off of me. 

"Geez, getta grip. I only teasin'." He said. He walked around me closely, as if he was studying my figure. He then paused in front of me. I looked up and say his eyes were a beautiful sky blue. They shown in the middle of the night. I became entranced, until he finally said something.

"Whatta ya lookin' at boy?" He came closer to my face. He hot breath was now breathing on my face. 

I shoved him away from me, just in case. I didn't trust him and Jack would kill me if I got into a fight now. "Just got lost in thought." I said. I put my hands in my pocket and turned to be on my way. 

"Hey!" He called out to me. His cane swung around and stopped me at my waist. He walked around in front of me slowly.

 "No one," He said. "Turns their back on the King of Brooklyn." 

I looked up and his icey blue eyes hit me again. They were beautiful. I couldn't stop looking at them. I could tell he was looking into mine. All of sudden, he spun around and walked in the direction of Brooklyn. 

"Okay..." I said, as I continued walking. All I could think about were those eyes. They caught me off guard every time I looked into them. 

"No." I said shaking my head. "I wills not fall for a guy just from his eyes. It's impossible!"

Honestly, I live in one room full of boys, and have never fallen for any one of them. I'm a tough girl, no, I will not let a boy let my guard down. I shrugged off the situation that just happened, and opened up the door to the Manhattan newsboy lodging house. 

"Hello Finn." Mr Kloppman said to me. I tipped my hat to him. He knew my secret, he's such a great man.

I walk upstairs and most of the boys are in groups playing poker or black jack with cards they stole from the streets. I went to my bed and unhooked my suspenders. Race then came over to me. He was one of my best friends. 

He put his arm around my shoulder, and asked, "So Finn, what's kickin'?"

I smile. He always knew how to make my day. "Jack and I saw the trolley workers. They's were throwing things and even set a buildin' on fire. Maybe we's will get a decent headline tomorrow." We both chuckle. 

"Where is Jackie boy any way?" He asked. 

"Eh, we went back to Davy's for dinna. I was tired and didn't want to go." I told him

He then pulls out a piece of bread and splits it in half. "I've been waitin for you to get home to give ya some." He said, handing me a half.

"Race!" I said trying to hand it back to him. "It's your bread, I don't wanna take it!" 

He pushed my hand back towards me. "Trust me, I's had a piece this mornin, and now lets eat dinner." He said.

I smiled and hugged him. This is why he was my best friend. We ate out bread and I became extremely tired. I said good night to him and he gave me a kiss on my head. I jumped on top of my bed and started to doze off. Jack was not back yet and I wasn't expecting him to be home any time soon.

My mind drifted off and I saw those eyes again. Those gorgeous blue, sparkling eyes. Then it occurred to me, that I never asked for his name. I did not know who this guy was, and I was dreaming about him, great. I guess I will never find out. 

_______________

The eyesss