Chapter 19: Firery Goils

Now I was on my own. Everyone in my family was gone. I had no one. I know I have Spot, but he wasn't family. Jack was someone I could always count on. I only knew Spot for a few days. I loved it, but it was not the same. The rest of the day was a blur. All I could think about was Jack, and how he betrayed us, all of us. It broke my heart to see him like that. He was so passionate about being a newise, and all of that was gone in a blink of an eye. What did they do to him to make all those years of dreams and experience suddenly not be in his memory? It upset me the more I thought about it.

Night fall came and the boys and I were walking back towards the Manhattan lodging house. Spot was next to me and had his arm around my shoulder. Race was on my other side and the three of us tried to have a small conversation, but it stopped after a little bit. I think Jack ripped the spirits out of everyone. No one had any motivation. We weren't making money and the only guy who knew what to do and inspire us, was now a scabber. This was not a good day. 

I stopped in front of the house. Race then asked me, "You comin'? Or..."

I smiled at him then looked at Spot. Spot lifted his arm off my shoulder and gave me time to talk to Race.

"I think it would be best for me to stay in Brooklyn tonight, you know, it's jus, thinkin' about Jack makes me so upset, and if I stayed 'ere, I would think about today a lot." I told him.

Race nodded. "Don't worry Finn, I's understand." He gave me a hug. "Jus come back soon, we's miss ya."

"I'll see ya in the mornin', kay?" I looked at Race.

Race smiled and walked into the lodging house. I turned around and saw Spot with his hands in his pockets, kicking at some small rocks on the street. I walked over to him and hugged him from behind. I hugged him tight. He turned around and hugged me back. He knew I was hurt and he did everything in his power to help me today.

"Let's go." He said. We starting walking towards Brooklyn.

(Time jump to the next morning.)

I was up early and left to go to Manhattan. I figured I would go see the boys and get there early enough for their daily morning routine. I walked in the door and saw Mr. Kloppmann sitting at his desk.

"Good mornin' Finn." He said, giving me a wave.

I waved back, "Good mornin' Mr. Kloppmann."

I then walked up the stairs to where us newsies slept. When I stepped upstairs, I saw some boys awake, but too lazy to get up, and others still fast asleep. It was very rare for us to have a day in to sleep and they were not going to waste it. I looked over and saw that Race was still asleep. I then seized this moment to run over to his bed and jump on him. Race woke up surprised that a newsie would dare wake his beauty sleep.

"Get off! What the hell!" He looked up with his sleepy eyes. "Who the-"

He then saw me and he rolled his eyes. 

"Ugh," He then slammed his head back down on the pillow and through the sheets back over him. "Don't you's understand the meanin' of, 'sleeping in'?"

I acted like I never heard the phrase before. "Hm, doesn't ring a bell... Mush you ever herd that before?"

Mush was up and laughed at my joke. I smiled and continued to try and get Race up.

"Oh come on Race, it's a beautiful day outside. Let's go." I begged him.

"Where's we gonna go Finley?" He swatted me away, still keeping his head on his pillow. He was just playing with me now. He was up and I saw the smile on his face.