Chapter 37: Awake

My eyes fluttered open. I looked around and saw I was lying down on the couch in the back room at the Manhattan lodging house. Spot sat next to me. His head was in his hands and he was looking down. His leg was shaking up and down. 

"Hey." I whispered.

He shot his head up. "Oh my god Finley, yous awake." 

He came closer and kneeled down next to the couch. I smiled and try to sit up. Pain shot through my body. I winced and placed myself back down.

"No, don'ts move, yous in a lot of pain." Spot said softly. "And it's all because of me."

I shook my head. "Spot, no one could have seen tis comin'. It, was jus somethin' that happened, and look, I's here." I grabbed his hand. 

"Yeah, but Finn those guys were afta me, and they punished you, and did things that they shouldn't have..." 

His voice trailed off and his eyes were sad and heavy. I wanted to hug him and comfort him, but I couldn't even get up. I squeezed his hand tighter. I had a guess that this conversation would go just like when Harry attacked me. I would tell him I was okay, and he would keep on blaming himself, but this no one could have stopped. No one saw it coming. 

"Oh Spot." I tried to reassure him. I sighed. "Hows long I's been out?"

"Jus a few hours, yous lost a lot of blood." Spot told me. "We stopped it, but there's otha injures." He rubbed his face with his hands. 

"Yous look like yous need some sleep." I said. 

"'ll sleep once yous betta." Spot took my hand again.

"How did yous guys find me? And, where was I?" I asked.

Spot began to tell me the story. "Yous were in a house in Brooklyn. Theys were keepin' ya in the basement. But, Jack and I's quickly went back to 'hattan to grab a couple more guys to help look for ya, when Maisy showed up. I's immediately recognized her and knew whateva she was up to was trouble. We's all stood outside and she hadn't seen me yet. She headed straight for Jack and asked to speak alone with him. Jack isn't stupid and he didn't do anythin' wit her, but he suspected somethin'. He kept questionin' her and she slipped up, sayin' he's the opposite of yous, he talks too much. Thats when we caught her and forced her to show us to where she had ya, but theys gone now, theys in jail for they're crimes." 

Spot kissed me on the forehead. I smiled, I liked being with him.

My smile faded once I thought of something. "Spot? Why's, were they afta ya?"

Spot rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I's, I's got they're motha put in jail, but she was jus like them! I swear! And theys hate for me it. They're motha was a killa to, and she almost got me. That's when I went to the bulls and got her arrested."

I nodded. I believed him. I trusted him. 

"Theys shouldn't have gone afta ya, that shouldn't have happened..." 

Just then Jack came into the room. "Finn!"

He rushed over and kneeled down next to Spot. Spot then retreated back to the seat sitting a few feet away. Jack grabbed my hand.

"Finn, yous okay." Jack said.

"Thanks to yous guys." I told him, looking at Jack and Spot. 

"Jus to tell ya, those two are in jail for da rest of their miserable lives. Theys will neva hurt yous again." Jack told me.

I smiled. "Thanks Jack."

He patted my hand and turned to look at Spot. "I's think she should stay in Brooklyn for a little longa. She safer there than here." 

Spot became uneasy. "Jack, can I's talk to ya outside?" 

Jack became confused and nodded his head. "Holla if yous need anythin'." Jack said. The both got up and stepped just outside the door, closing it, but they didn't know that I could here the entire conversation.

"Jackie boy, I's don't think her stayin' in Brooklyn is da best idea." Spot said. 

"Whatta ya mean Spot? Yous can protect her. People don't mess wit cha." Jack protested.

"Jack, listen." Spot sighed. "Wit and Maisy, theys, theys were comin' afta me, and theys found out that Finn was, wit me, and theys went afta her. It's all my fault, I's so sorry Jack. It's me fault she's like tis right now."

Jack didn't say anything for a few seconds. "Spot, so what yous tellin' me, is that, her bein' wit cha put her in this state right now." 

"Yeah, but Jack, I's, I's didn't know theys were comin' for me, but I's a target. I's ain't done some great stuff in da past, and theres will be people comin' afta me. Finn should just stay here in 'hattan, she's safe away from me."

I wanted to run out there and tell him to stop. I wanted to be with him, this was not his fault and he was beating himself up about it. 

"Yous tellin' me tis now? Afta she's been wit yous tis entire time?" Jack's voice started to get louder.

"I's neva want to hurt her Jack, I's neva... What I's sayin', is that she ain't safe wit me. Word has gotten out that she my goirl, and I's can't put her in danger." Spot stayed calm through out all of this.

"I's can't believe tis, yous jus stay away from her right now, kay?" Jack said. 

The conversation ended in silence. I heard footsteps, and Jack came back into the room. He came over to me and pulled the chair Spot sat in close to the couch.

"Jack." I said.

"What?" 

"It ain't his fault."

"Yeah Finn, it is." 

"No one saw tis comin', no one knew it was those two, especially Spot. Yous can't punish him."

Jack rubbed the back of his neck. "Yous heard us talkin'?" 

"Every word." 

Jack sighed. "Finn, I's just tryin' to keep ya safe." 

I scoffed. I was too weak and tired to argue. I wanted Spot to be sitting here next to me, but I just couldn't argue with Jack right now.

"We'll talk 'bout tis lata." I looked up at the ceiling and brought my focus to my thoughts. I wanted to sleep.