Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You

That night I did not sleep much. There was pain every time I moved, so I tried to stay in one position, but it was not comfortable. I feel in and out of sleep for a couple minutes each, until I saw the sun starting to beam through the windows. No one was around watching me, so I took this moment and got up. I headed towards the door to go and watch the sunrise. I walked slowly and quietly to the front door and opened it. The cool summer morning breeze hit my face. I walked down the steps and then found Spot sitting on the boxes outside our lodging house. His head was propped up by his arm and his eyes were closed.

"Did ya sleep here all night?" I asked, sitting next to him.

He was startled and his head shot up. His eyes blinked and he focused them on me. I chuckled a bit.

"Sorry I woke ya."

"Nah, it's fine." Spot said, rubbing his eyes. "I's was probably goin' to get up soon."

He looked over at the sun, making it way through the buildings.

"So, how ya feelin'?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Little bit of pain, but over all, fine."

Spot grabbed my hand. I looked up at him. His beautiful eyes gazed at me, and he sighed.

"Listen Finn, no matta what you say, tis is my fault..."

I put my hand up trying to stop him. He just grabbed my hand and put it down.

"I's was the one who was a jerk to these guys, I made them hate me, but, I's jus wanna say that, I's changed."

I just looked at him, a little bit confused.

"I's ain't gonna be the terrible Spot Conlon anymore, 'cause, that only gets you hurt. I's gonna change, I'll be betta." He told me.

"Spot, now listen to me," I squeezed his hand tighter. "You's do not have to change who you are 'cause of me. I's can take care of meself. You shouldn't have to completely change who you are, for me. Plus, I think the whole tough guy thing is kinda cute."

I leaned over and gave him a kiss. He pressed his lips against mine and we sat there for a minute.

"You's not like otha goils Finley," Spot said. "And that's what makes ya so special. Any guy is lucky to have ya."

I smiled. He knew how to cheer me up. "Guess that lucky guy is you."

He gave me a hug.

I winced, because the hug was a bit painful, but I didn't let him see that. The hug felt nice. We could now see the full sun now, and it was steadily rising over the city. 

"I's should head back inside, Jack should be up soon." I said, starting to get up.

"Wait," Spot said and sat me back down. "I think, I think we should tell your brotha about us."

He looked down at his feet and looked like this was tough for him to get out.

"Truth is, I's want ya awl the time, not jus sometimes when you sneak out. I's want to be wit ya."

He shrugged at me. I think he thought that I would not agree.

"Spot," I started. "I's agree."

He looked up at me.

"Yeah, I miss ya too when you's not wit me." I gave him a kiss. "Jus give me some time, and I'll figure out a way to tell Jack, kay?"

Spot nodded. I then got up and made my way up the steps. I looked back and saw Spot looking at me. I smiled, and went inside.