Chapter 20: John Davis

Spot and I walked all over Manhattan, just talking. It was so great. We talked about everything, and it was really nice just to relax. We walked mostly in the quiet places in Manhattan, because we didn't want to be bothered by the noise. We came up to a bench over looking the water, the sun was setting. We sat down.

"Oh, Spot! I's forgot to tell ya about this mornin'!" I exclaimed.

Spot looked intrigued because I was so excited.

"So, before Mush, Race, Kid, and I went to Medda's, we ran into the Delancy Brothas." I said.

"Oh geez, they's a bunch off dirty bags." Spot said. I laughed.

"I know. Well, Oscar and Morris started pickin' on us, and we's don't care, because we's know they can't do any damage. We jus stood there and kinda laughed inside at 'em talkin'. Then, Oscar made tis comment about me that I's did not like, so I's created a plan."

"Really?" Spot smiled. 

"Jus listen." I pushed his shoulder. "Anyway, I's pretend to like him and he fell for it! I's got really close and then socked him in his jaw, then came around and hit him again in his nose! He was so surprised you should have seen the look on his face!"

I laughed and Spot chuckled. "It was kinda 'a you had to see it' moment."

"That's me goil." Spot hugged me. 

"Yeah, he and Morris ran off like two scared kids. It was great." My laughter died a bit when I thought about Jack afterwards. I wanted my brother back and I couldn't stop thinking about him.

Spot saw this. He put his hand under my chin and lifted my face up to look at him.

"I know your upset, I promise we's will do everythin' in our power to have Jack come to his senses." Spot said.

He understood me. I smiled. He truly made me happy.

"Well, Mush, Race, and Kid all loved it. It was a great show for them." I tried to just shake off the subject, I did not want to think about it anymore. Spot went along with it.

"I's seen you kick ass before, I's would be scared if I's were Oscar or Morris." He punched me lightly in the stomach. 

I chuckled. I was pretty proud of myself from before, it was great.  

"What's up wit those two and you though? I's feel like their always comin' afta ya." Spot said.

"I dunno, maybe to throw off Jack or somethin', since they know I'm his sista." I told him.

"Yeah, well I's want you safe. So, those two won't see the light of day next time they lay a finger on ya." He kissed my forehead. "I's know you can take care of you's self, but I's jus don't want ya worryin' about these two thugs."

"I understand, Spot." I smiled at him. 

He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in close next to him. I lay my head on his shoulder and we watched the sunset. 

"Spot?" I said.

"Yeah Finn?"

"What's ya real name?" I asked.

He took a minute, and then answered. "John."

"I like it, John Conlon." I looked at him.

"Actually, John Davis." He said.

"Oh, well, I's like that betta."

"I's glad you do." He kissed me on the lips. "Jus, maybe don't mention it to any of the boys. They's don't know my real name and I's like to keep it that way. You's know, for safety reasons."