❁Chapter 4❁

Chapter 4

"It won't work," she whispered, moving ever so slightly as James' head rested on her shoulder, his eyes on the couple walking hand in hand down the hall, closer than ever as the wide smiles rested on their lips, "I'm telling you."

"Will you just let the prank master do his job," James snapped, "this isn't even a wizard prank, be grateful."

"You know I don't just know muggle pranks" she scoffed, "muggle pranks or not, I'm still prank master."

"You're barely even a pranker," he smirked, his eyes quickly glancing at her before he eyed the two once again, watching from under the cloak as they neared the piece of string lying on the ground.

Only a few moments later was it Caden that walked over it, stepping onto the glue covered string that stuck to his shoe, yanking it as he walked and soon was the two drenched in water, and that was when Nora's hand covered James' mouth quickly to stop his laughter from getting them caught, she was having a hard time holding in her own laughter as she watched the twos reactions, but it was then as Caden and Lily stared at each other that they burst into a fit of laughter, Lily's head on Caden's chest as she tried to contain her giggles.

"Well that didn't work," Nora grumbled, turning to look at a frowning James, who soon grabbed Nora's arm and pulled her to the side of an isolated hallway, lifting the cloak from over them so that they could stand, "that cloak will come in handy."

"Yeah, if it bloody works," James huffed, "Evans hates pranks!"

"Or she hates pranks that she knows you have played," Nora pointed out, "look once we get to Hogsmeade, and get some supplies, then it'll be fine," she waved off, "it'd obviously be great if we were able to go yesterday, but someone couldn't stand the thought of a little rain."

"You know, I have a small feeling that you're thinking of me," James tutted.

"I am," she huffed, "you practice for quidditch in worse than rain, but you can't even walk ten minutes to Hogsmeade?!"

"That reminds me, we could go to Hogsmeade today?" suggested James, folding the cloak in his hand as he leaned against the wall, watching her frown ever so slightly.

"I can't, actually," she sighed, "I promised Aubrey I'd help her with potions."

"Oh, well, okay," James nodded his head a little too furiously, his glasses falling ever so slightly to the side of his face which he scrambled to fix, his cheeks flushing red, "I'd say we could go tomorrow, but classes."

"Yeah, you're right," she mumbled, "we'll definitely go on Saturday, though, I'm sure if your friends want to come along then it wouldn't be that bad," she smiled softly, lifting the strap of her bag higher onto her shoulder as she bid him a goodbye, waving slightly as she walked down the hall.

She wondered why she felt so guilty for turning down his offer, she could feel it bubbling in the pit of her stomach like a sea crashing roughly on the shore. She wondered why she thought the way he nodded, that the way he fixed his glasses was probably the most adorable thing she had seen all day, it made her wonder why they had to go to Hogsmeade in the first place, but then as she walked down the hall did she remembered it was for Caden, her Caden, the boy that she had liked for years, her first crush, and kiss, way back in third year when she was worried about never kissing a boy before so he did it, he kissed her, and that was when she knew she really liked him, a whole lot, but she didn't do anything about it, instead she just kept silent, and allowed him to tease her about how much she loved it.

And she really did.

But why, right now, was her thoughts wandering back to James Potter, even though she had promised Aubrey, she wondered if she would really need her today, she could always reschedule for this evening, or maybe tomorrow, and Nora would be free to go to Hogsmeade, but she didn't understand why she wanted to go so badly, especially with the insufferable James Potter.