Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Nolan

       A bunch of us were heading to one of the cafes at the college because there was a little event going on. Anyone could go up there to perform anything English or creative writing related; a poem, a snippet from a novel or a poem, a speech, discussing controversial topics. Anything that involved public speaking.

       And apparently, our professor was going to be there and she said if she saw any of us participate we would get a bonus mark.

       I wasn't going to. I would rather not be in front of a lot of people and read something I wrote.

       Which was odd, because I was so used to being on camera that I know millions of people were going to see, and I've been to VidGalore Convention and talked in front of so many people like it was nothing.

       My mind was a very complex thing.

       Jerome said he was going to do something because he wanted the bonus marks. He didn't tell me what he was doing, though.

       When we got to the cafe, Jerome told me he was going to get us something to drink. He kissed my cheek before heading to the counter, so I headed to the table Ryder, Mae, and Alan were already sitting at.

       "Don't tell me Jerome is here with you," Alan said.

       "Uh, of course he is here with me," I said. "Why wouldn't he be?"

       "I was just hoping he wouldn't so I wouldn't feel like I'm a seventh-wheel," Alan said. "Orchid is coming and I thought Atticus wouldn't want to come to this, but nope. He just has to come and ruin everything. Screw relationships."

       "You can always get a girlfriend," I said.

       "Or a boyfriend," Ryder said. "We don't judge."

       "Uh, obviously girlfriend," Alan said. "I'm the only triplet into girls. The other two are into boys. And have boyfriends."

       "False," I said. "I have a fiance."

       "I still can't believe you're getting married," Alan said. "Yeah, we all figured you would be the second one to get married in the family, but....I don't know, it's weird. We're the same age and I'm single as hell. Tulip is probably going to start dating that boy friend of hers before I get a girlfriend."

       "Aww, so sad," Orchid said as she and her boyfriend sat down at the table as well.

       Alan glared at Orchid. "I'm not talking to you."

       "Why?" Orchid asked. "I don't see you getting mad at Nolan for coming here with Jerome."

       "That's different," Alan said. "They're engaged and they live together. You still live at home so you're supposed to make me feel not lonely."

       "Then get a girlfriend," Orchid said.

       "Yes, because it's so easy getting a girlfriend," Alan said sarcastically.

       "Uh, it should be easier for you than it is for me dating Atticus," Orchid said. "At least you won't date someone who's the daughter of Dad's so-called 'nemesis'."

       "It's still not easy," Alan said.

       "What's not easy?" Jerome asked as he sat down beside me, handing me a bottle of soda.

       "Getting a girlfriend," Alan said.

       "Oh, I know," Jerome said. "Don't worry. If it's any consolation, I will be turning twenty-one this year and I've never had a girlfriend before."

       Alan gave Jerome a flat look. "That doesn't help at all."

       Jerome shrugged. "Well, I tried."

       The performances began and Jerome was one of the first few people on the list to go up. When he was called, he got into the stage and thanked the MC who handed him a microphone. "Alright, so my name is Jerome Roy and I'll be shocked if you don't know me," he said. "Just kidding. Kind of. Anyway, I will be discussing a controversial topic but first, I need a little help from you guys. If you already know me, don't say anything. So what can you tell about me just by looking at me?"

       "That you're a guy," one person said.

       "Yes, I am a guy," Jerome said. "Anything else?"

       "You have brown eyes."

       "Why, yes, I do. Keep going," Jerome said.

       "You're hot."

       ....Well then.

       "Aww, thank you, whoever said that," Jerome said. "Any other things?"

       "You're married or engaged."

       "I assume you're saying that because of the ring on my finger," Jerome said. "Well, I am indeed engaged, so sorry person who called me hot, but my fiance and I have been together for over three years. So, anything else?"

       "You're human."

       "Yes, thank you," Jerome said. "That's what I was hoping someone would get at. I'm human. So, if I'm human, then why do I get treated like I'm not? Like I'm some sort of....different species. Ooh, I can see the confused look on some of your faces. You know what I love about the word fiance? When you write it down, you can easily tell if you're talking about a male or female because a female fiancee would have an extra e. But when you say it, you have no idea if you're talking about a male or female. Oh, did I not mention? My fiance is a male. Yeah, I'm gay, but you couldn't tell that about me just by looking at me. Because I'm human. My fiance his human, yet some people think we're freaks for being attracted to someone of the same sex. It's not a choice. Tell me, would you choose to be someone your parents will kick out of your own home? Will you choose to be someone that got teased endlessy? I doubt it. You can believe it's a choice, but if you use that and say the choice is wrong, then I challenge you to choose to be gay for a week and see how that works out. Jerome, out."

       He even dropped the mic.

       Of course.

       A lot of people applauded him after he dropped the mic, then got off the stage. When he got back to the table, I stood up and gave him a hug. "That was amazing," I said.

       "Thank you," he said. "I just got myself some free bonus marks for talking about myself. You should do it."

       "Yeah, I'd rather not," I said. "I don't like talking in front of people."

       "Right, which is why you talk to my Jeromans," he said.

       "That's different," I said. "I don't know how, but it is."

       Jerome chuckled before giving me a kiss.

_________________

Yas slay Jerome.

I seriously love how far Nolan has come. I remember when he didn't want to even go out anywhere with Jerome, but now he does not care if people see them kiss or hold hands in public.

AND I LOVE JEROME AND NOLAN'S FIRST WORDS TO EACH OTHER:

Nolan: Jerome, should I trust you?

Jerome: Yes.

You guys do not know how happy I am that I decided to make Mae move away in Ryder the Love Expert. She was originally going to stay once her mom realized how much Mae wanted to stay in Miami, but then I thought of a cute scene of Ryder surprising Mae for prom so I had to do that and if I didn't, I wouldn't have created Jerome then Jerlan wouldn't have existed and I'm crying just thinking about it omg.

JERLAN WILL FOREVER BE MY OTP. Seriously, I don't think any of my characters have ever been so in love with each other. (oops, sorry Popson and Maeder and Kevin. cx)