Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Nolan

       I've been up for a long time, but there wasn't really anything for me to do so I was just reading a book. Jerome, on the other hand, was still asleep. Normally, it was me who was still asleep since I usually had a hard time falling asleep.

       It didn't help that someone ended up getting drunk anyway, so he really had to sleep this off.

       I was never letting my husband around alcohol ever again. It was always a hassle trying to take care of him when he was drunk and trying to read people's minds.

       I wasn't mad at him for drinking, though. I knew he wasn't going to with me there, but since I showed up, I was able to drive him home.

       It was still annoying.

       Jerome stirred around in the bed for a bit before groaning. "I have a headache," he whined.

       "Gee, I wonder why," I said sarcastically. "Seems like someone is hungover."

       Jerome looked up at me. "Are you mad?"

       "Nope."

       "You sound mad."

       "Nah, I'm just sarcastic. I'm not mad. If you drank and I wasn't there to take you home, that would have been another story."

       Jerome sighed and rubbed his forehead, so I placed my book on the nightstand and got out of bed. "I'll go get you some water and painkillers."

       "Thank you," he said.

       I went downstairs and to the kitchen, getting Jerome a glass of cold water and some painkillers before heading back upstairs and to our bedroom. I handed them to Jerome and sat back on the bed as he took the painkillers.

       Jerome set the class on the nightstand before laying back down in the bed. "My dad wants me to go to Montreal," he said.

       "For what?" I asked.

       "A family reunion," he said. "I want to go, but at the same time, I don't because it's on my dad's side and most of them share the same views as him. Well, the views he used to have. But I do want to go because I'll see some cousins I haven't seen for a while, and they're supportive of it."

       "When is it?" I asked.

       "Two weeks," Jerome said. "It will be four days long, so if I do go there, I'll stay for a week. And of course, you could come."

       I sighed. "I can't. I have a midterm then. You don't have any midterms?"

       Jerome shook his head. "None of my classes have midterms. The English class is just an essay, but I will be able to email it to my professor. That's if I should. I don't think I will now that you can't."

       "It's a family reunion though," I said. "I think you should go."

       Jerome looked up at me, his eyebrows furrowed. "Really? Are you sure you'll be okay on your own?"

       I nodded. "Yeah. I can always see if Alan would want to stay here for the week. I'm sure he would love to so he wouldn't have to share a room with William."

       "I'll only go if you're sure you'll be okay," Jerome said. "Because I don't want to leave you when you're not."

       "I'll be fine if Alan stays over," I said. "Besides, the class I have the midterm in is the one Alan has with me, so we'll be able to study together."