Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Jerome

       "I still don't know if I should go," I said. "I can totally cancel the flight and stay here."

       "Jerome, come on, it's a family reunion," Nolan said. "More importantly, it's where you grew up, and your dad really wants you to go. He wants to mend the relationship between the two of you."

       "But you...."

       "I'll be fine," Nolan said. "Alan is staying with me and it's not like I'm completely helpless."

       I sighed. "I know. I'm just worried about leaving you."

       "It will only be for a week," Nolan said. "That's not too long."

       "Uh, for me, it is," I said. "When was the last time we were separated from each other? When I went to Paris for Internationals, right? And how old were we? Fourteen and seventeen."

       "Okay, that is a good point," Nolan said. 

       "And we live together. And we're married. It's weird to be apart."

       "Another good point, but Montreal isn't that far away, and we'll still be in the same time zone, so it won't be too hard talking to each other. We can video chat or text or talk on the the phone whenever."

       "Okay. And if something ever goes wrong or you're feeling too lonely, even with, Alan staying over, I promise I'll come home as soon as I can. I don't care if the reunion isn't over."

       Nolan nodded. "And if you can't book an earlier flight, I'll just....I don't know, stay with my parents."

       My flight was being called to start boarding, and I really didn't want to go. I mean, I missed Montreal a lot and I did want to go to the family reunion, but I didn't want to leave Nolan. I was afraid something bad was going to happen.

       "Jerome, stop worrying about me," Nolan said. "I'll be fine."

       "Are you sure?" I asked.

       "Yes," Nolan said. "And it's like you said, if I really do need you, you can try booking an earlier flight."

       "Right," I said before pulling him into a hug. "I love you so much."

       "I love you too," Nolan said, hugging me back tightly. I knew he was trying to seem like he would be okay with us being apart from each other, but judging how tight he was hugging me, it was not okay.

       I pulled away from him. "Nolan, tell me to stay, and I will. If you're not going to be okay, I'll stay."

       "That's not fair to you," Nolan said. "You want to go. I know you do. You can't keep throwing things away for me."

       "I can," I said. "You're my husband and in my vow, I promised I would do anything to keep you happy."

       "And I promised the same thing," Nolan said. "Go. I'll be okay. It's not like we won't be able to talk to each other at all."

       I sighed. "Okay." I pulled him into another hug. "I'll miss you."

       "I'll miss you too."

       "And I guess I should go to my flight," I said. "Call me if you ever need anything."

       "I will," Nolan said.

       I pressed my lips softly at his before I had to head over to where my flight was boarding.

       I slept for basically the whole flight since it was a short one of three and a half hours. As soon as the plane landed, I texted Nolan to let him know I arrived safely in Montreal.