Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Jerome

       Nolan and I were going to run some errands today after he was finished with his class, so I decided to meet him at the school instead of him having to walk home only to go back out again.

       I headed to his classroom as soon as I got to the school, only to see him arguing with Alan and Orchid. "So, what are you three arguing about?" I asked as I stood behind Nolan, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my chin on his shoulder.

       "What fruit would win in a fight," Nolan said. "These two people are delusional."

       "I'm telling you, a grapefruit would win," Orchid said.

       "In what world?" Nolan asked. "It's obvious that a pineapple would win."

       "You guys are both stupid," Alan said. "Think of a dragon fruit. You're really telling me it wouldn't win?"

       The triplets always argued about the stupidest things. I didn't know what would even spark such an argument, but that happened all the time. One time, they were arguing about whether or not pineapples belonged on pizza.

       Seriously, it was a personal choice. Some people liked it, some people didn't.

       Thankfully, Nolan and I shared the same view about not wanting it on pizza.

       But I had to settle this argument once and for all so Nolan and I could actually leave. Otherwise, they would be arguing forever.

       "Okay, you're all wrong," I said. "Obviously a durian would win."

       "A what?" Orchid asked.

       "He's making that up just so he could win this argument that he's not a part of," Alan said.

       "What's a durian?" Nolan asked.

       Keeping one arm around Nolan's waist, I reached into my pocket with my other arm and pulled out my phone before holding it in front of us. I then went online to show Nolan what a durian looks like. "That's one," I said. "And apparently, it's the world's smelliest fruit so it would knock all your fruits unconscious."

       "I change my mind," Nolan said. "A durian would win."

       "What?" Alan asked. "No, you have to stick to a pineapple, which would totally lose against my dragon fruit and Orchid's grapefruit."

       "No, a durian would win," Nolan said. "Look at a picture of one and you'll know."

       "You three are all idiots," Orchid said right as Atticus walked over. "Atticus, we need a fifth opinion. What would win in a fight? A grapefruit, a dragon fruit, or a durian, whatever that is?"

       Atticus raised an eyebrow. "Okay, three things. One, why are you arguing against that? Two, would anyone really think a grapefruit would win? And three, obviously a durian. They smell really bad, especially when you cut it open."

       "Ha ha," I said. "Even your boyfriend disagrees with you."

       Atticus looked at Orchid. "Don't tell me you picked grapefruit."

       "What? They could win," Orchid said.

       "No, honey, they can't," Atticus said. "You could have picked something else like, I don't know, a pineapple or a coconut."

       "Yeah, I originally picked pineapple, but I changed to durian when Jerome told me what it was an how bad it smelled," Nolan said.

       "See?" Atticus said to Orchid. "They're smart."