Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Jerome

       Today was going to be the first challenge and I had no idea how it was going to go. I wanted to be confident about it, but I had no idea what the competition was going to look like. It could be extremely challenging or it could be extremely easy.

       I just hoped my dancing would come in use for some of the challenges because that was my huge strength. And maybe my only strength. Oops.

       I was kind of hoping it was also going to be a challenge where we really had to use our brains. Nolan could easily win with his brain, and I wasn't even sure Dirk even had one.

       A loud buzzer sounded throughout the house to wake us up. Lucy thought a lot of us would try sleeping in as much as we could, which definitely couldn't happen with the day that was planned.

       I opened my eyes, squinting at the nightstand to try to focus on the clock to check the time. Eight in the morning. Way too early.

       Well, if I thought this was early, then Nolan was going to be complaining a whole lot. Every time was too early for him, and if I especially thought it was early, than Nolan complained even more.

       I heard him groan a bit before muttering, "What time is it?"

       "Eight in the morning," I said.

       "What?" he asked. "No, that's too early. Don't tell me we have to actually get out of bed too."

       "Well, that was what that buzzer was for," I said. 

       "Why?" Nolan asked. "Lucy said the contest won't start until one. Why do we have to get out of bed now?"

       "Probably because people laying in bed all day won't create drama," I said. "Drama will bring in a lot of views." I sat up. "So, you ready for today's contest?"

       "Nope."

       "Why not?"

       "Because we have no idea what the contest is and I don't like surprises. That, and I'm not really a competitive person."

       "Well, you're going to have to be competitive today."

       "Yeah, not happening. Any chance you can go to the kitchen and get me something to eat while I just lay here?"

       "Nope. You have to come to the kitchen with me."

       Nolan sighed and sat up. "It's too early to be awake."

       "It's always to early for you," I said before getting out of bed. I was just going to stay in my pajamas for a while because I was too lazy to get changed right now.

       Nolan got out of bed as well, and we left the bedroom to head to the kitchen and get something to eat. Not too many people were there. In fact, the only other people there were Millie, Gilbert, and Lynn.

       "Want some coffee?" Millie asked me and Nolan when she saw us. "You both look dead tired."

       "I'll have some," I said.

       "Nolan?" Millie asked, and he shook his head as he sat down one one of the stools at the counter. "Really? It will help you wake up."

       "No, I can't have coffee," Nolan said.

       "Oh, okay," Millie said, thankfully not asking Nolan why. Even though it was a simple question, Nolan hated when people asked why he couldn't have coffee after he told them he couldn't.