Chapter 2 - Seeds

Sophia's POV

I walked home from yet another day at the Guarnacci Etruscan museum, bored at my simple life. I longed to be an artist, have my own paintings hung in galleries and people pay to see them.

The rain was pouring down as I tried to control my umbrella. In front of me two women were stumbling along the cobbled street, clasping to each other as their high heels made a tune on the pebbles. I couldn't help but overhear their conversation,

"Did you hear, there's a job going with the posh fellows who own the clock tower."

"I always wanted to see the inside of that building. Jess said it's amazing, all old furniture and oak doors."

"It's kinda creepy though, all those people living together."

"Jess loved it though! Talking about her have you seen her recently?"

"No! Maybe she's on holiday?"

"Yeah....! So what's the job?"

"Some personal secretary job thing. Filing, answering phones, boring stuff."

I stopped and fumbled to find my keys in my pocket. Opening my front door I hung my coat and put my umbrella on the rack. I picked up the letters lying on the doormat and flicked the light switch. Bill, bill, junk mail, a letter from my mum. I hadn't seen her since I'd moved out here almost 8months ago and although we chatted weekly I missed her.

Dear Sophia,

I probably should have told you earlier, but I'm engaged!

We met last year, and I knew he was the one. He popped the question last week, we were walking down by the Thames, near the London Eye. The ring's beautiful, 1/2 carat gold, large diamond, exactly how I dreamed it would be.

I'm sorry I haven't told you sooner, I was worried you would be mad and I didn't want to loose you, you're all I have left.

Talk to you on Sunday like usual, after Call the Midwife.

Love Mum

P.S. I enclosed a picture of Tony and I, love you.

I opened the envelope again to find a picture of my mother stood next to a middle aged man with brown hair and a goatee.

Placing the letter on the table I wandered to put the kettle on, pinning the photo to the fridge as I went. I felt hopeless, stuck in a dead end job, single, my only friend the old man at the corner shop and everything I loved back in England. I stared out the window at the moon and the stars when a single word crossed my mind. Secretary.

Those women had been talking about a job opening with the rich family in the clock tower. I didn't know them, no one knew them, but I swear I looked up to the tower once and saw a beautiful man, glistening in the sunlight. It sounded ridiculous, but looked like his pale skin was made from thousands of tiny diamonds. My job at the museum was going nowhere, draining me of happiness, but I'd never been a secretary before and it was so far from my dream of being an artist, of having my work hung in galleries where people would pay to see it.

I poured myself a cup of tea and headed to my bedroom. I'd made up my mind, I was going to become a secretary to the richest people in Volterra.