Chapter 26 - True Love

Sophia's POV

I had just entered the castle, nodding to the vampires on the door, when I saw it waiting for me on my desk. I was a note with 'Sophia' written in Caius' handwriting on the front.

My sweetest Sophia,

I have spoken with Aro and Marcus and you need not work today, therefore I have arranged a surprise for you.

Come to my room to collect your gift and I promise I will be waiting for you there.

With all my love

Your Caius.

I placed the note in my handbag and headed off to his room wandering what my gift could possibly be.

I had learnt the difference between the vampires and humans in my time here, vampires had cold, pale skin, crimson eyes and were stunningly beautiful to look at, but non as beautiful as Caius, or so I thought.

I reached his door and knocked, but received no reply so I opened it to reveal the biggest surprise of all. His sofa had been replaced with a massive oak wood four-poster bed, fitted with blood red drapes and soft sheets, but the best part was the giant love heart made from white rose petals upon the merlot duvet.

"Hello." I turned to see Caius stood there with a grin on his face.

"Hello."

"So what do you think?" He asked, gesturing to the bed and its furnishings.

"It's ... it's marvellous."

"I'm pleased, I was worried you would think it was too much." He walked over to me and took my hands in his. "I love you Sophia, more than I have ever loved anyone, even Athenodora, and I want to spend the rest of my eternity with you." I was shocked, but did briefly look over his shoulder to see the picture of him and his wife had been replaced with a Da Vinci painting.

"I love you too." We leant for a kiss, but before I could deepen it he pulled away.

"Does this mean I can court you?"

"Court me?"

"Be your boyfriend, and you my girlfriend."

"Of course." We continued kissing, eventually moving to the bed, before I stopped with a question burning in my mind. "Caius, does this mean I have to become a vampire?"

"Eventually, but when you're ready." I smiled, but frowned when I thought of a conversation I had had with Jane earlier in the week.

"And, what did Jane mean when she said that you were the patron saint of hatred?" He looked down but quickly bought his gaze back up to mine.

"She meant that before you came into my life I was considered the harsh one out of Aro, Marcus and I. I was the one who routed for the most extreme punishments and insisted no-one who had been accused of a crime was let off. It was what Aro was drawn to in me, my ability and passionate capacity to hate, but all that has changed, the moment I saw you in the hall I was angry at you because you set off a fire inside me that I hadn't felt in such a long time, I knew right then that you were the one for me and I was enraged at myself for feeling that way about a mortal, but I'm glad I did because you have made me happier than I've ever been."

I looked at him as though he was the sunshine on a rainy day, and he looked at me as though I were the last diamond on earth.

Realising he had bought this beautiful king-size bed up to his room I decided not to let it go to waste and rolled over, so I was now straddling him, ready to make this a night, or day, to remember.